EmpireTech NVR32CH-AI 32 Channels 1U 2HDD Network Video Recorder is Beeping

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a EmpireTech NVR32CH-AI 32 Channels 1U 2HDD Network Video Recorder. I am trying to set it up. I have two 3tb hard drives installed. When I turn it on, nothing shows up on the screen and the nvr starts emitting beeps in 4 beep bursts. I cannot find anything about this in the manual. Is there some resource I can use to solve this issue?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A beeping NVR (Network Video Recorder) usually indicates that alarms have been enabled and are triggered by events like motion detection, PIR detection, or hard drive errors. Other reasons for beeping include: Video loss, IP address conflict, Record/capture error, Network disconnected, and HDD not formatted or in error state.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d bet on hard drive. It will beep like that if you fire it up without one, and I seem to recall having one go south years ago that did that.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’d bet on hard drive. It will beep like that if you fire it up without one, and I seem to recall having one go south years ago that did that.
The drives are NTFS formatted drives with data on them from their previous installation. They worked fine when they were last used. I'll switch them out and hopefully that'll fix the issue.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I switched over the hard drive to two other drives known to be good at the time they were taken out of the previous computer. I know they are getting power as I can feel them spinning. I switched out the SATA cables. I made sure everything was seated properly on the board. Still nogo. Still getting the beeps. I assume they would be like the POST test for computers. All of the other things plug into the board and shouldn't keep it from booting, like the front usb, the fan, and the rs232 port. That seems to leave the board as the issue.

@EMPIRETECANDY would you have any suggestions on where I should go from here with this issue?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So brand new AI NVR

You're connected via HDMI to a monitor and using a plug in mouse?
Initial setup - never logged into it before?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So brand new AI NVR

You're connected via HDMI to a monitor and using a plug in mouse?
Initial setup - never logged into it before?
Brand new AI NVR bought November 2023. The one in the link in the original post. HDMI connection for the monitor. Using the included plug in mouse. Initial setup. I got it and changed direction so it's sat in the box until now. I sent a message to them through the site explaining what is going on. I'll give it a couple of days to see what they recommend.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah that’s weird

I would normally suspect the HDs or a peripheral.

You never got anything on the screen? Or maybe just the logo?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll try more hard drives tomorrow. I suspect the unit should be able to run headless and the hdmi cable wouldn't keep the unit from booting but I'll try a different cable anyway. I would guess the board is just a specialized single board computer running a custom linux distro. The beeps would be telling me somethings wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of beeps means something.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah that’s weird

I would normally suspect the HDs or a peripheral.

You never got anything on the screen? Or maybe just the logo?
3rd times a charm. I tried a 3rd pair of drives and traded out the monitor for a different one. I was able to get the nvr up and running.