EnGenius EOC1650 Wireless AP

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've inherited a couple of EOC1650's. I was able to load DDWRT on them, but DDWRT doesn't offer a free license for the model. Does anyone has experience using these with cameras and if so, do you think it's worth it to buy a DD-WRT license? Or should I purchase a different access point?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Why is DD-WRT required? If it isn't then run 'em stock. And how much is the license if it is? I wouldn't pay too much to get a used AP/bridge working when new Ubiquiti ones aren't that expensive. I've had great luck with Ubiquiti stuff but no experience with the EnGenius gear.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It was loaded with a subscription based firmware and after about 6 months, I gave up trying to find the original firmware.

DD-WRT is free for residential devices, but you have to pay a $22 license fee on products they deam commercial.

I looked at the Ubiquiti stuff, and are not opposed to buying it, but would need a little help deciding which I needed. I've set up the DD-WRT so that all I have to do is log in, join any wifi, and I'm up and running. Very fun to take with us camping or setting up for nature watching from a distance.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you looked at the possibility of Tomato for them?