error installing IIS when installing xprotect 2017 r2

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am on windows 10 Pro and trying to install xprotect 2017 r2 for two days now with no luck and same error each time:
(see attached pic)
The automatic installation of internet information Services (IIS) failed.

1/ I have followed the instructions to enable "specify settings for optional component installation and component repair" in group policy editor = same error
2/ I have installed IIS and all its sub components = same error
3/ tried different combination of IIS and sub components = same error

Any idea??

p.s. xprotect 2016 worked fine

Attachments

xips

n3wb
Reaction score
Do the Event Viewer logs show anything?

shokunin

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you running any 3rd party apps to turn off telemetry data back to microsoft? I got the error as I am using O&O shutup10 to disable telemetry reporting and automatic downloads. There must have been something IIS was trying to download or upload to microsoft that was being blocked / disabled. I reverted back to factory settings, rebooted, and reinstalled 2017 r3 and it worked fine.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you running any 3rd party apps to turn off telemetry data back to microsoft? I got the error as I am using O&O shutup10 to disable telemetry reporting and automatic downloads. There must have been something IIS was trying to download or upload to microsoft that was being blocked / disabled. I reverted back to factory settings, rebooted, and reinstalled 2017 r3 and it worked fine.
I had an IIS error during an upgrade from 2017 R1 to R2 and R3. It mentioned IIS and 'Image-something' running which blocked the install because the 'Image' process was using the same port. I didn't take a snapshot. I'm gonna see if it happens again next week when 2018 R1 is released and I'll get a snap this time.

Last edited: