Exchanging a Nest Wired Doorbell with Reolink WiFi unit - Advice Please

Davidod

n3wb
Reaction score
Not wanting to gatecrash the other substantial thread on Reolink, I have posted a separate request for advice here.

I currently have a Nest wired doorbell that is in place for more than five years. I am considering replacing it with a Reolink unit.

I have a number issues with the Nest, including frequent and significant latency for person notifications, as well as the extreme difficulty in precisely selecting an image on the app when it does pick up a person.

There is a 'fibre-to-the-home' connection to the house and a fast and strong WiFi signal at the door. I do not have, or want to start a Nest subscription.

The Nest is currenly wire connected to a Honeywell DW915xx door bell (electronic chime), but it does also have wireless facility using the Honeywell ActivLink™ on 916.8 MHz that am hoping will allow pairing with the Reolink unit that will allow me to use the doorbell with this particular chime.

The reason that I am so seriously looking at the Reolink doorbell is that I already have five Reolink cameras that are connected via PoE to a Reolink 410 -8 NVR. The reason I am not thinking about PoE for the doorbell is that the cameras and NVR are not active 24 hours a day, but the doorbell would need to be. So I will need to power the doorbell separately, which can be done using the existing bell PSU.

I would really appreciate any comments/advice on my proposals, and especially on how best to go about using my Honeywell chime rather than the Reolink chime unit.