Experiencing intermittent router issues. Am I overloading my cheap Linksys router?

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two Chromecasts connected to two TVs streaming camera feed from Blue Iris. Starting around a few days ago both Chromecasts would lose connection at the same time about twice a day, and every time required a re-casting. During that time, I also lose connection to the Internet and all of my wireless devices would fall off the network. The hiccup lasts about 20 seconds and resolves automatically. None the less the casting would stop and require me to re-cast, which is a pain in the butt.

I have pretty much isolated the problem to my wireless router and I want to get your opinion on whether I'm overloading my relatively cheap router and whether upgrading will most likely solve my issue.

I currently have a Linksys EA6300 dual-band AC1200 router:
Linksys EA6300 AC1200 Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router

And I plan on upgrading to a Asus 87U AC2400 router:
RT-AC87U | Networking | ASUS USA

Here is what I have on my network
- A total of 12 cameras, some wireless, some wired from 1MP to 4MP. Blue Iris is set to record continuously
- 2 Linksys RE6500 wireless bridge with multiple cameras connected to them and they communicate with the main router
- 2 Chromecast casting camera feed to two TVs 24/7
- 1 Chromecast Audio
- Google Home
- SmartThings with about 30 IoT sensors connected to it
- Harmony Hub
- Thermostat
- Samsung Powerbot vacuum
- MyQ Garage door gateway
- A few computers

With what I have hooked up, am I overloading my existing Linksys? Will the Asus most likely do better? Any other router suggestions?

Last edited:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
How old is your current router? If it's showing it's age then I have found a new router really helps things. I had three chromecast sticks and an amazon firestick before I got all smart tv's and those sticks and my old router just would not play nice. A new router solved the issues. You have a lot more going on there so it could just be conflicts somewhere too.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How old is your current router? If it's showing it's age then I have found a new router really helps things. I had three chromecast sticks and an amazon firestick before I got all smart tv's and those sticks and my old router just would not play nice. A new router solved the issues. You have a lot more going on there so it could just be conflicts somewhere too.
It's only about a year old, but I have since added a lot of devices to it and I might have finally pushed its limits.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All the WIFI cams are killing your network. Wired is always the best option.
Does rebooting the router help?
Is the router in a location that keeps it cool?

This is the newest version of the 87U: Asus - Wireless-AC Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router - Black
It has a faster processor than the 87U
Rebooting doesn't help and the router is located on top of my TV stand with plenty of space around it. It happened again last night and it's almost always when I'm playing a Youtube video on my laptop. I would notice the YT video freezes and then a few seconds later chromecasts get disconnected. Lasted about 20 seconds.
Most of my cameras are POE, but they are connected to a wireless bridge. Running wires wasn't a practical option for me. That's why I hope a better router can resolve my issue.