Extending Cat5e cable

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In my first install I miss calculated the length of the required cable I have no spare wire, which makes it very hard to remove the camera when needed.
Is there a best practice to extend cat5e cable that is used for POE?
Saw this:
But guessing it's not so good since it's not water proof.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In my first install I miss calculated the length of the required cable I have no spare wire, which makes it very hard to remove the camera when needed.
Is there a best practice to extend cat5e cable that is used for POE?
Saw this:
But guessing it's not so good since it's not water proof.
You can purchase IP rated couplers that would be suitable for outside installation (I wouldn't suggest for buried cable).

PRODUCT LINK EXAMPLE

Or you could purchase a splice and put it inside an IP rated junction box.

PRODUCT EXAMPLE LINK

They work and I've used them countless times, but they will always be suboptimal to running a new cable.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You could also make just about anything weather resistant enough with the right combination and application of various tapes. This is a key thing to do to the RJ45 connection between the camera and the cable feeding it. If you chose a weatherproof coupler, be sure to use some dielectric grease on every RJ45 involved in connection to the camera in the coupler and the camera.

When using the tape method, apply a dab to the pins of the male RJ45 connector before plugging them in. Then apply a layer of the self fusing tape so it extends onto the cable at both ends of the coupler. Then wrap with quality electrical tape extending past the self fusing tape. Even the minor condensation caused changing temperatures outside will cause condensation which will corrode the RJ45 connector eventually.

Connection Sealing

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty much summarizing what a couple of others have suggested here, I'd use an IP68-rated coupler like this, dab the dielectric grease on both the male RJ-45's and plug them in, test to be OK, then tightly wrap 2 layers of self-vulcanizing rubber tape the full length plus about 3 inches of overlap onto the CAT-5e/6, then 2 VERY tight layers of 3M 33+ to speed the curing of the self-curing rubber tape. It won't be pretty, but personally I prefer function over form.

Links to the grease and tapes are in @sebastiantombs ' post above.

IP68-CAT5_coupler.jpg