exterior data drop pricing check

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had a gentleman come give an estimate for two data drops. I asked for in-wall runs, but he felt it would be too costly due to labor. He suggested exterior runs through attic soffits with UV resistant cable at $100/drop with me supplying cable and terminations. No painting or patching if needed. This is in Southern Nevada. Seems a bit pricy, but I don't know...

What say you?

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In-wall is difficult if the walls are insulated (some interior walls are not) and if the wall at any point has a horizontal stud in between two vertical studs. Trying to feed wire up or down will hit that horizontal stud every time, even with a fiberglass rigid fish. (From experience). Even so, in wall usually needs to be plenum rated which adds to the cost of the wire. Compared to outdoor rated, I'm not sure of the price difference. But neither are cheap. As far as $100 each? That doesn't sound all that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a gentleman come give an estimate for two data drops. I asked for in-wall runs, but he felt it would be too costly due to labor. He suggested exterior runs through attic soffits with UV resistant cable at $100/drop with me supplying cable and terminations. No painting or patching if needed. This is in Southern Nevada. Seems a bit pricy, but I don't know...

What say you?
$100 a drop is reasonable. I HATE pulling wires and screwing around on ladders and grabbing mouse turd filled insulation being on my back in crawl spaces or 120 degree attics, its not fun and i have done my share. Unless its my own house, I sub all that stuff out. Here in NY, that would be a steal. Is he Insured? If he is not then I would look elsewhere.

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have to say that $100 a drop isn't too pricey with the information provided. I would probably max out @ $200 per with him supplying all material and painting/patching. However, there are a lot of factors at play as discussed by the others.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
seems reasonable to me, you want to provide your own cable as you never know what junk they got left from the last job.. could be great, could be bottom of the barrel... they see it all.

It'd take more than twice that to even get me into your attic