External access to one camera stream

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am working with a local baseball league (non-profit) that wants to set up a few cameras to keep an eye on their baseball field. They're also wondering if they can have one camera set up to stream games to a small number (< 100) of users over the web.

I'm good on getting the Blue Iris system set up to monitor the field, but I'm not sure of the best way to offer a stream over the web. Can Blue Iris serve up a stream without users having to log in? Or, can I have one camera in Blue Iris that is also providing a stream to some other software?

Thanks!

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
As far as the live games, you could always have someone with a dedicated camera do Facebook live or Youtube live. Another option that I use for streaming a live weather cam to Youtube from my BI machine is using software called OBS Studio. Unrelated to BI, it just pulls a video stream from whatever your source is and connects to Youtube or other live streaming platform.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oooh, I like the idea of a YouTube stream. Is the camera working with OBS Studio also being monitored by Blue Iris?

I'll check that out, thanks.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Oooh, I like the idea of a YouTube stream. Is the camera working with OBS Studio also being monitored by Blue Iris?

I'll check that out, thanks.
In my case, when the camera is streamed live to Youtube, yes it is also in BI being monitored.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my case, when the camera is streamed live to Youtube, yes it is also in BI being monitored.
Can I ask how you target one camera in OBS Studio? Are you just capturing the screen as you have that camera pulled up? Or, is there a way to target just that camera in OBS Studio?

I ask because I will only have the one computer on-site. It will be running Blue Iris and whatever streaming software I need. There is a desire to have a monitor on the computer that is displaying the local cameras.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
here is one example of how to stream an IP camera using OBS.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It uses the RTSP stream directly from the camera. If you are using Windows, in order for this to work in OBS, you will need to download and install VLC Video player Download official VLC media player for Windows - VideoLAN. Make sure VLC and OBS are the same bit, IE if your computer is 32bit, both VLC and OBS need to be 32bit, likewise, if your computer is 64bit, both need to be 64bit. Once you have VLC installed, you will be able choose that as an option for your video source in OBS. Once you add VLC video source, in the settings under "playlist" you would put in the the direct path to your camera. In my instance for a Hikvision camera, it is: rtsp:/username:password@192.168.5.27:554 Of course you will need to put your camera username, password and IP address in that string.

Reaction score
It uses the RTSP stream directly from the camera. If you are using Windows, in order for this to work in OBS, you will need to download and install VLC Video player Download official VLC media player for Windows - VideoLAN. Make sure VLC and OBS are the same bit, IE if your computer is 32bit, both VLC and OBS need to be 32bit, likewise, if your computer is 64bit, both need to be 64bit. Once you have VLC installed, you will be able choose that as an option for your video source in OBS. Once you add VLC video source, in the settings under "playlist" you would put in the the direct path to your camera. In my instance for a Hikvision camera, it is: rtsp:/username:password@192.168.5.27:554 Of course you will need to put your camera username, password and IP address in that string.
I was going to start a new thread on this exact idea--- a way to stream a cam live. Great info here!! I will have a PTZ cam going sometime this week, and I thought it would be cool to be able to live-stream thunderstorms as they roll through....

Question:

I have router rules restricting the IP range of my cams from getting out on the internet. My cams can not "phone home", or anywhere else OUTSIDE my network. Of course, the video streams are captured from them on my network by my BI computer-- and my BI Computer CAN get out on the internet. SO... if OBS sits on that same computer, it will see my cams. What I am not sure about is how it handles the stream. Is it merely redirecting-- essentially saying "hey Youtube or FB Live-- the video is on the network HERE-- go get it"--- which is not possible for the cams... OR-- does OBS take the private stream and repackage/reprocess it and send it out to the YT or FB live feed (FROM THE COMPUTER THAT HAS INTERNET ACCESS)?

I hope that makes sense.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was going to start a new thread on this exact idea--- a way to stream a cam live. Great info here!! I will have a PTZ cam going sometime this week, and I thought it would be cool to be able to live-stream thunderstorms as they roll through....

Question:

I have router rules restricting the IP range of my cams from getting out on the internet. My cams can not "phone home", or anywhere else OUTSIDE my network. Of course, the video streams are captured from them on my network by my BI computer-- and my BI Computer CAN get out on the internet. SO... if OBS sits on that same computer, it will see my cams. What I am not sure about is how it handles the stream. Is it merely redirecting-- essentially saying "hey Youtube or FB Live-- the video is on the network HERE-- go get it"--- which is not possible for the cams... OR-- does OBS take the private stream and repackage/reprocess it and send it out to the YT or FB live feed (FROM THE COMPUTER THAT HAS INTERNET ACCESS)?

I hope that makes sense.
Use BI to stream that cam to YT.