Face Detection, IVS, Heat Map, Smart Plan Setup Questions

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

Ok, so the features of Face Detection, Heat Map, and IVS together seems confusing to me. :banghead:

How do I setup all three on the camera?

If Im using IVS. Under Smart Plan menu Heat Map and Face Detection is Disabled/Greyed out. Can I only use one out of the three at a time?
1593353079495.png

If I have only ONE PTZ PRESET Can I or DO I ??? (Multiple Choice)
A.
Add additional Smart Plans for both Heat Map and Face Detection for the one PTZ Preset? So I will have three Smart Plans in total for ONE PTZ Preset. One for IVS, one for Heat Map, and one for Face Detection???
OR
B.
Do I have to add additional PTZ Presets for each Heat Map and Face Detection along with a Smart Plan for each?

Lastly, What does Face Detection actually do? Does the camera look for what it thinks are faces and then simply alerts and triggers a recording, snapshot and alert event? I can still enable Face Detection with the Smart Plan Face Detection greyed out so I'm not sure how and if these two things are related to each other? (This Menu Face Detection I can ENABLE without a Smart Plan)
1593352202787.png

Heat Map, I assume monitors an specific area for activity and then reports activity traffic as a typical heat map, the red areas are high concentrations of activity verses blues are lower areas of activity? However the menu for the Heat Map requires a Smart Plan and wont allow you to enable it until you select a Smart Plan.
1593352634088.png

There are some very good features on these cameras but the documentation is lacking. If anyone might point me in the right direction, links, docs, info I would be grateful.

Thanks

Last edited:

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On mine with these options it only allows you to choose one at a time.
I would assume this is because the camera’s CPU (or GPU, if it has one) can’t handle more than one of these features at a time. My experience with my own Dahua cameras is that they got CPU power to handle the average use case and nothing more. This obviously keeps production costs down, which is both good and bad depending on your needs. The problem is you never know how well the cameras perform, so I’d read up pretty carefully on here before getting a specific model.

With regards to documentation, I completely agree @Ratfink11. You’ll have to try everything out yourself and rely on this forum for the gaps. I wonder what documentation the resellers/installers have access to, since end users have little.

Edit: to get the Face Detection and Heat Map working and alerting properly, maybe you need a (Dahua) NVR? I honestly don’t know. Search the forum and look for other people’s experiences.

m00st

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Indeed, for the Dahua (PTZ) cams I've owned and used you're limited to one of those options per PTZ preset. Face detection only registers that it's a human face and can make a snapshot and/or instruct your Dahua NVR to do face recognition. That way you can keep your NVR to keep CPU power free for recognition while the camera watches the videostream.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Ratfink11, you can try googling for "dahua wiki heat map" etc and it'll usually find you a page on Dahua's US Wiki that sometimes has a little more info on the particular topic.

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes... Thanks, I will give that a shot. I understand how the heat map works. Just not understanding how to setup or works with Smartplan, IVS, Face Detect.

Ive tinkered a bit with it. Hopefully I will have it figured out this weekend.

Thanks again for the assistance.

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I picked up a couple IPC-HDW2431T-AS-S2 cameras (one with 3.6 and the other with 2.8 lens) and have these questions about "smart plan" and IVS:

Smart plan

Big square light-bulb icon that when clicked will toggle between orange and grey color. No settings, no idea what changing the color does. But there an "apply" button so it must do something. Is there more to this? If so - where? Does it matter if the camera is set to h264 vs 265?

IVS

IVS has rule list box, I can add only 2 different rules:
  • tripwire
  • intrusion

No people detect, no face detect, no car detect, no missing item detect. None of those are listed under the Event menu or anywhere in the IVS menu. Should I have them?

dahua wiki has instructions that show that IVS menu should have Global Settings tab beside Rule Config tab. I do not have Global Settings tab.

Firmware details:

V2.800.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2020-04-18
WEB Version V3.2.1.880675

V2.800.0000000.14.R, Build Date: 2020-02-29
WEB Version V3.2.1.857734

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
On=Orange

IVS is primarily in most models Intrusion and Tripwire. Some models have additional features. the 2400 series is the Lite or lowest series. Pay more get more just like everything else.

Face Detect, Heat Map, People counting all have their own Smart Plan (not light bulb) to activate. Again IF your model supports them like the image below from the 5000 series

SmartPlan-UI.jpg

Last edited:

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't get it. My "Smart Plan" menu just has a single large button / icon (the light bulb). No other buttons (not even any grey'd out buttons). So I have no idea what turning on the "light bulb" (ie making it orange) and then hitting "apply" is supposed to do.

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So if I want the only available IVS functions I have (intrusion and tripwire) to work, I have to "turn on the light bulb"? Should I have a "global settings" tab beside the IVS rule config tab? Or maybe I don't because of limited IVS functions I have?