Facial recognition questions

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wandering.
Some NVR's are mentioning the support of facial recognition.
Some IP cams are also mentioning that feature.
Now, in order to have that feature, do I need the cam(s) OR the NVR to support it or both of them.

Yet another question:
The stranger alarm. is it good enough to trigger the home alarm? or should I expect too many false alarms.
Also, what if I have two IP cams pointing to the same person. One identify him as a house member and the other one do not identify him yet. Should I expect the alarm? any settings for that?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
First of all: make sure you are seeing the right things: you have facial detection and facial recognition. Two major differences. The first works well, although my HFW5231 sometimes sent out strange shadows looking like faces. But I turned off that feature because its EITHER the facial detection OR IVS. And I personally prefer IVS. I've seen footage of the Facial Recognition, although the camera spits out a "%" probability interval. Which means, if you wear your sunglasses, he might get less confident knowing it is you. And then turn on the alarm system waking up the neighborhood? That's not something I personally would do. If my camera's see movement AND the alarm is turned on, maybe. But based solely on camera's "inteliggence", I wouldn't do it.

It is adviced to have the same level of AI inside NVR and Cam, otherwise you cannot configure your CAM properly through out the NVR. A Cam is perfectly capable to send out Alarm I/O if cabling is present too.

Good luck!
CC

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you CC,
I believe I only got more confused.
I do know the difference between face detection and facial recognition. The ideal for me would be to trigger the alarm only for line crossing of a stranger but it looks like it's still very far from possible.
Not only that, if I need to choose between IVS OR face detection, sounds like I cannot even avoid from triggering the alarm when a tree or a shadow is crossing the line. That's really poor.

So if I got it right, the face detection/facial recognition is basically a feature of the cam and must be supported first of all by the cam and normally, I would like the NVR to support it as well in order to have better control.
Is that correct?
I was asking before about a case when two cameras were detecting the same person and one identified him as a family member.... I guess now that such scenarios are way beyond the abilities of the system.

Am I right about not being able to use the line crossing only in case of a human?