"Failed to find network host" on HDW5231R-ZE camera

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For one of my cameras, the HDW5231R-ZE just suddenly stop working this morning and today of all days:banghead:. I just get a "Failed to find network host" from the NVR+monitor. I can't access the camera's web browser and the camera status shows up as red. I've tried turning the NVR off and on a couple of times but still nothing. I haven't messed with this camera in months, I think the only thing I did to it all year was update it. The firmware version its currently on is DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000015.0.R.200430 and I had no issues with it until today.

What are the necessary steps for troubleshoot this?

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Check the rj45 connection at the camera to see if water got into it, and corroded the connection. This would happen because the connection was not properly water proofed at time of install.
Just getting back from Christmas party after leaving the NVR on. I came back and suddenly its working again. I did have connection issues when putting this particular camera up the first time. I do use a water proof junction box + connectors but I think its the cables I use, they suck horribly when it comes to using the water proof connectors as its hard to put them on. Its those flat cat cables, their odd shape made it hard as hell to put the water proof connectors on. The junction box I use is probably not needed as well because of the way I have the camera up. I'll have to deal with this later though if that's the case because its not easy for me to take this camera down.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If you re-terminate and have room to fit boots you could try wrapping self amalgamating tape around the cable and rear of the boot to achive a tight seal. I'd look for boots for flat cable in any event although it's probably possible still to seal with round. You can also buy electrical contact cleaner although if fitting boots it's probably better just to fit new plugs at the same time as they're going to have to come off to get the boots on. Ideally your conenctions are in junction boxes in any event although I suspect in this case maybe not. I'd always try to lean towards mutliple layers of protection ie waterproof junction box, boots, self amalgamating.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Back, same thing happened again today around the same time so yeah, Its probably water on the cables or ice/frost since its been really cold outside. My camera would go out around 9 something AM, when the sun is fully out then come back on several hours later. I was able to catch it on late this afternoon. So I'll definitely look into it later on.

Edit-
I managed to correct the cable. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary with the cable ends, it looked fine. I think I had the water proof connectors on wrong and it was pushing out the cat cable, it didn't snap in basically. I'm hoping this fixes it tomorrow.

Last edited: