Fan constantly running?

JoLynn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have recently bought a UK spec DS-2DE4220IW-D. I was surprised to hear a fan permanently running, removing the back cover as you would to insert a micro SD card reveals a small fan with a plug and 2 wire lead so obviously not speed controlled. This makes enough noise to be heard when reasonably close to the camera although being outside this is not much of an issue.
However I want to buy an indoor camera, a through ceiling type preferably and have been looking at the DS-2DE4220AE3, this fits the bill well for me as just the dome shows through the ceiling. The supplier says this also has a fan constantly running, he says "it is not obtrusive" I am not so sure, worried that it may vibrate the ceiling and amplify the sound.
It would be great to hear peoples opinions of why are fans necessary? especially in the cool UK. Does the outside air circulate into the camera? How long should the lifespan of a constantly fast spinning fan be? As one of these cameras will be mostly in unoccupied premises I am concerned that apart from the noise it could be a fire risk.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are sure heat won't be a problem and the fan bothers you that much, just unplug it. I have never done it with PTZs, but I do have done it with plenty of DVRs/NVRs that have been installed on places where I thought that the fan was more of a nuissance (in those cases I usually also leave the unit without the cover).
A fire risk..?!? don't think so.

JoLynn

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I let my imagination get carried away, had visions of the fan grinding to a halt with the bearings seized then perhaps overheating.
How common are fans in PTZ ip cameras, is this quite normal now?

Could anyone please suggest an indoor camera that does not have a fan and may be more suitable that an umpteen times zoom.