Favorite way to view your cameras?

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With an Empire Tech NVR how do you like to view the cameras at any time at home? Tablet, Laptop, HDMI from NVR to TV/monitor. I’m trying to get an idea how you all do it? I’m new to this so anything helps!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
SmartPSS on a laptop or PC. I have a separate PC on my desk that runs SmartPSS most of the day

On a buddies house we wired HDMI to a 32" monitor that sits on a shelf above his kitchen

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On a buddies house we wired HDMI to a 32" monitor that sits on a shelf above his kitchen
With your buddies setup, you have an HDMI from NVR to a monitor and I’m assuming he has a computer that he uses to adjust his camera settings by the camera’s IP?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
With your buddies setup, you have an HDMI from NVR to a monitor and I’m assuming he has a computer that he uses to adjust his camera settings by the camera’s IP?
Correct. HDMI out of the NVR to Monitor.
We manage NVRs via a laptop or PC on the network via the NVrs web GUI. The direct machine interface with a mouse and monitor is horrible

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are a lot o HdBaseT transmitters (which convert HDMI -> CAT6 -> HDMI) on market.. there are even solutions for sending signal from one NVR to 2/4/8 tv/monitors in home...
If dedicated CAT6 cables (without switches) is not a option, there are ip HDMI encoders, which create RTSP stream from HDMI.. You can watch this stream on any tv/computer/tablet using any RTSP / CCTV player app..

there are gateways to HomeKit (apple world).. there are HomeAssistant & frigate..
both can be displayed on tablets...

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
NVR's HDMI output to a monitor at my desk.
HDMI feed comes via an HDMI over Ethernet extender unit. This extender unit also have an IP Ethernet pass through so I can use a network PTZ keyboard.
This saves needing an extra PC to run Smart PSS on.

I playback footage on the NVR or on Smart PSS. I typically download footage with Smart PSS (saves walking across the house to plug a USB into the NVR).
Playing footage on the NVR with the joystick's keyboard is awesome.

I just view on my phone with DMSS, occasionally playback when needed but not download on a phone.

1702245952709.png

I used to use an HDMI to DVB-T RF modulator.
This took the NVR's HDMI feed and sent the video over my house's television RF cables. So all TV's in the house could receive the video feed as a TV channel.
Works great... but my family didn't view on the TV much. A waste of power having it running.
Plus there's a 2 second delay using this.
1702246278154.png

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
HDMI cable from the NVR (located at another wall not in this picture) to a 32" television on the credenza that isn't used for anything other than the NVR. Fifteen cameras in use at this time.

And I use Internet Explorer on one of my two monitors hooked up to the desktop computer to adjust individual camera settings, record video, save pictures, watch channels, etc.

Included in the picture to the far right is a CyberPower Systems UPS which is looney2ns' favorite brand of UPS. :lmao:

PC100002.JPG