Filling up this hole so it looks neat

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi
Had to drill this hole to get the female ethernet port in.
How would you fill this up so it looks neat but so I can easily cut it out again if I need to take the camera off for any reason in the future
the material is steel

I was thinking of grey silicone as I can pretty easily cut it out if I need to take the camera off for any reason in the future

IMG_20200325_190103.jpg

Reaction score
I would look for a rubber grommet of some type. You would need to get one a little bigger than the hole you drilled, and with a split in it so it will allow only the cable to fit in the center hole tightly. Most electronics suppliers have these, and home depot/menards has some too.

Or, the easy way is to use @TonyR method. It works and may be cheaper.

Lesson learned. Junction boxes are the way to go. With these a much smaller hole can be drilled and once cable is passed through, sealed up with a little silicon calk. Cables get stuffed into the junction box.

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would look for a rubber grommet of some type. You would need to get one a little bigger than the hole you drilled, and with a split in it so it will allow only the cable to fit in the center hole tightly. Most electronics suppliers have these, and home depot/menards has some too.

Or, the easy way is to use @TonyR method. It works and may be cheaper.

Lesson learned. Junction boxes are the way to go. With these a much smaller hole can be drilled and once cable is passed through, sealed up with a little silicon calk. Cables get stuffed into the junction box.
Thanks Ill try the grommet

Yeh crap didnt know about junction boxes. Its not big deal though. Ill just cover the hole

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
What material is that where the hole is located? Looks like plastic?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You may want to try universal rubber grommets to see if that works

1585506440901.png

Last edited:

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh yeh and about those junction boxes

I have a bullet camera DS-2CD2042WD-I
and 2 dome ones - DS-2CD2142FWD-I

for the bullet is this the only junction box? WOuld prefer the lowest profile I can get;
DS-1280ZJ-XS:
1585562299848.png

CB110 DS-1280ZJ-DM18

1585562424616.png

Attachments

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

Unfortunately, it only shows results for stores in the states, i.e. zoro.com, drivetrainamerica.com
You might be able to search for something similar on Australia's eBay and Amazon websites or your local hardware (electrical / plumbing) stores

I found a grommet but this one looks better then the one I found. Care to share where I can buy these or give me a part number?