First Hikvision install, couple of questions

superdog

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. I've just installed my first CCTV system. I'm a network guy and one of my smaller clients had bought a bunch of Hikvision gear from his electrical wholesaler and asked me if I could install it. I happen to know the manager of this wholesaler and I know that him and my client are good friends, so he wouldn't have sold him any shit or the wrong stuff.

I have no prior experience in the CCTV field but I got it set up and working nicely pretty fast. We're using the DS-7604NI-E1 NVR with two cameras connected - I'm not sure of the exact models but one is an outdoor dome with 2.8mm lens and the other is a bullet. Both are IP and have crazy resolutions (2688 by something). I am impressed with the quality to say the least. There are three separate sites with an identical setups in total.

The client wanted high quality continuous recording from both cameras. I've set this up now but with my calculations, the 1TB drive he purchased would only store about 7 days worth of video. I informed him that he'd need at least 4TB per NVR to get his desired "month" of recording, which he has agreed to purchase now.

At the moment the NVR is locked in the network comms cabinet. While this offers some amount of security, a determined person would be able to remove it. The client asked about the possibility of attaching a large USB drive to the rear USB 3.0 port on the NVR, which would be kept in a separate much more secure box, with just a hole cut for the cable. I also noticed the dome cameras have a microSD card slot on the board.

So my questions come now:

Can the NVR record simultaneously to its internal hard drive AND a USB 3.0 drive? The manual doesn't explicitly state whether the USB port can be used for continuous recording at all, and the wording suggests to me that it is designed purely for backing up segments of video from the hard drive.

Can the individual cameras record simultaneously to an internal microSD card AND the NVR? Again the manual says nothing on this really, and I can't see how to even set up individual recording on cameras in the iVMS-4200 software. I like the idea of the camera being able to record to a local card, as even if the NVR is stolen/destroyed, the camera will still have a good amount of video up to the point of its disconnection.

If you set up devices in the iVMS-4200 software using a hostname rather than IP address, how often does it attempt to resolve the hostname? As I am using dynamic DNS hostnames, which resolve to the local IP of the NVR inside the network, but the public IP outside the network. This is a workaround due to a loopback issue with the router.

Is there a way to lower the bitrate of the live view in the iVMS-4200 software? I can see that the Android and iPhone app do this automatically (with "fluent" and "clarity" options). The NVR is recording at 6Mbps per camera and watching both cameras live view remotely is saturating the upload bandwidth at the site (12Mbps!).

DOES THE NVR WEB INTERFACE WORK PROPERLY IN CHROME???!

Thanks,
superdog

PS. this forum is superb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
- No, the NVR can not record to HD and USB; the USB is for backing up recordings.
- Yes, you can recordo to both NVR and internal memory card.
- No, it does not work with Chrome.
- You can also choose viewing the main stream or sub stream fro iVMS-4200.

You can also record the cameras to two NVRs if you are that worried that one of them might get stolen. Or two NVRs and internal memory cards. Or to an off-site extra NVR. You (your customer) can get as paranoid as you want.
Hope this helps!

superdog

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Securame!

Not such a big loss that you can't record to USB. I guess I could add a second NVR if client is paranoid enough.

Regarding the sub stream - how exactly do you do this? I did the following which I thought was correct but at one point it says "get the stream again" and I have no idea what this means or how to do it. Even after restarting the software it is still showing me the full resolution feed:

ip1.png

ip2.png

ip3.png

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You are actually already watching the sub stream then.

If you have it in "Auto" on the configuration (System configuration -> Image -> Auto-change stream type -> ON) iVMS-4200 will use the substream when you are watching many streams at the same time, and when you take a camera full stream it will change to the main stream. If you disable the Auto-change stream type setting, then you will be able to choose at any time what stream you want to watch.