First install - a few questions (SD card, remote viewing, etc)

mchas

n3wb
Reaction score
Finally got all of the cameras for my setup and am preparing to do the install this weekend, but have a few questions after doing some bench testing yesterday:

- I put an SD card into one of the cameras, but can't seem to figure out how to get into settings to format it. It is hooked up to my NVR - do I need to buy a POE switch?

- Once I format the SD card and get the camera recording to it, how can I view the contents of the SD card?

- I am able to view the cameras via an iPhone app, but I tried installing a LOREX FLIR Mac App which was able to connect to the NVR, but the Live View and Playback did not work. It is a LOREX brand NVR that I got from Costco that is supposed to be a rebranded Dahua so is there some other software I could try?

I tried to find old threads that covered these topics but still couldn't quite figure these things out.

Thanks in advance!!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will most likely need to access the cam directly, not through the NVR.

mchas

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I did the install this weekend and after many hours of trying various things, that's what I ended up doing. I found a thread on here that was very helpful, it explained to hook up a laptop to the NVR and then can access each camera via its IP. I did that and it worked.

Now I just need to figure out how to use PC software to remotely connect to the NVR and download video if needed. Any suggestions?