First PTZ cam - what would you advise?

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there, my name is Gilles and i am from the Netherlands. I have a Foscam FI9900P in my garden, and the view is not that good, here is the current image;

I would like to 'protect' my Garden shed, Big Green Egg & the gate, that is why i have set it up like this. In the lower right corner you see double doors which lead to my living room. This is my first and only camera i have right now.

At the front of the house i would also like to hang a camera, since i have a dog shitting in my front porch and i want to simply see who does it, next to the fact that i have my car parked in front of my house and there are some burglaries happening in the neighborhood. My car is parked next to my front door.

So the idea is to move the Foscam FI9900P to the front of the house, since it is now also located at a place where a burglar might tamper with it without being seen (since our neighbours have an extension to the house). You can see this on the image below in the mid-right of the image.

Here are some details:
  • So my budget is about 300-400$ for a good PTZ cam with proper night vision.
  • Using motion sensors i would like to trigger the PTZ cam to move to different presets, so i can put a motion detector at the backyard gate, at the flat roof (top left of the pic) and at the garden shed. With the motion sensors (ZWave) i also have the possibility to set the garden lights to 100% (also ZWave), thesame lights are also in my garden shed so my entire garden can be 'lit' when motion is detected. I know that this will work with a PTZ cam, since i have seen it being done before on this forum.
  • The cam would be recording to a Synology NAS using surveillance station (can be switched).
  • The PTZ cam would then be located on the edge of the house were we added the 'extension', pointing to the backyard gate by default.
What i don't know is which PTZ cam to buy. I can buy a Foscam (e.g. the FI9828P), but i have the feeling that is kind-a cursing here :)

What are your thoughts? Which brands/types should i look for? Does it make sense to buy at AliExpress and have 'logo-less' clones? Even tough they claim they are thesame, just with Chinese FW which you can't upgrade... Questions questions....

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr i don't have any POE at my house but i have a full 1GB network wired up. I ordered the SD59225U-HNI in the end.

I want to add an external microphone to it, for example the Microseven IP Cameras, so i can actually hear what is going on outside.

I would like to drill an as small as possible hole through my outside wall, so ethernet is something i definitely need. But i see the M7WP also needs power; how would i go about installing this?

Either this:
1) Ethernet (POE) --> Wall --> Weatherproof Junction box --> Mic + Cam
--> Split POE so it powers both my cam + mic, for example: Microseven IP Cameras

Or do i need to add an additional power line through the wall
2) Ethernet (POE) + --> Wall --> Weatherproof Junction box --> Mic + Cam

Never installed one of these puppys hope you are willing to spend some time to help out on THIS subject, the rest i can manage (i am working in IT, but as a programmer)

Regards,
Gilles

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I was getting ready to make a custom wall plate to fit my 2.5" lap siding. So then I cannot assume these dimensions are correct ? I probably should wait until cam arrives anyway to make sure the wall mount is plumb as I can adjust base to correct this if it is a issue. We have had such mild weather lately and I would like to take advantage of it :)

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You aint going to find a PoE+ splitter that can provide enough power for the Camera..

If you want to run a powered mic, your best option is to run 24VAC out to power the camera and tap off it with a 24vac to 12vdc adapter

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So basically i have these options, either run a 24V power supply + (plain) Ethernet to the cam and split the power towards the microphone, like explained perfectly in the review thread of the microphone.

Or power the PTZ via POE using either one of these Gigabit POE injectors:
- Ubiquiti PoE Injector POE-24-24W-G Passief, 24V 1A, 1Gbit (24w, 25 EUR) /Ubiquiti PoE Injector POE-24-30W Passief, 24V 1.25A, 1Gbit (30w, 23 EUR) --> The latter my preference since it has a bit more wattage
- Add a Wall plate(10 EUR)

And run a 12v DC adapter (500ma should be sufficient) for the microphone.

Considering ground loops, which would be the best option according to your experience @nayr

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are a BlueIris user, don't forget the option to share the mic from another cam. I am planning on using this method as the PTZ will be mounted up at peak of house, but I can use the mic in my IPC-HDW4300C which is about 50 ft away at ground level. I am currently doing this now on several cams and it works perfect. BTW I have easily heard conversations over a 100 ft away, just have to turn up the speakers a little :)

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know what BlueIris is (need to research that since i read that a lot here) but i don't have any cams with mic yet so i'll have to get something new for this.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr thanks. Problem is that the advised splitter is very cheap, but adding shipping makes it expensive. Same goes for the wind "socks" you are using..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they are fairly common devices, im sure you can find em domestically if you look hard enough.