Forgot password? An easy fix without opening the camera

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So I installed a new 5231ZE from Andy today to replace an older non-Starlight at our neighborhood entrance.

Like most new Dahua IP cams, it makes you go through an initialization process first, including setting a password and an email address for the admin.

Like a bonehead, after getting everything to sync up with the buggy firmware in the 4208-8P-4KS2 PoE switch, I found I couldn't login to the camera to make setting adjustments. (apparently my brain and my fingers didnt coordinate on the password I set) So trying 5 guesses at a time with 5 minute time outs for about 30 minutes I thought to myself, SHIT, I'm gonna have to get back up on the ladder, remove the camera from the pole, take it apart and do a factory reset... ...wasn't looking forward to that.

By chance I clicked on the "Forgot password" link on the login screen....This opens a popup. You are asked to download an App called EasyViewer (I downloaded it from the Apple App Store for my iPhone) and scan a QR code that is displayed on the popup with the App. I did this and damned if I didnt receive an email in 60 seconds with a security reset code. I copied the code into a space provided for it on this same popup, and WALLA! it reset the initiation sequence allowing me to enter a new password. (Which I quickly wrote down, and sent myself in an email, and told my wife, and one of the cats to be safe)

So maybe this is just new to me but I hadn't seen anything about it on here so I thought I'd share.

No idea what models it may work on or not? But it sure saved me a heap of work.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I know all the new Dahua NVR's and Cams have this feature as of late. Its NOT mandatory for the setup but going through the setup paid off for you. You are the first person I have heard from that used it. Cool, This confirms that Dahua is pegging your e-mail to your camera S/N when you set it up. Have you tried to do the auto update firmware option yet. I have left mine disabled for now but will enable the feature when I want to check for security updates. Thanks for the useful info.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep that's exactly how it works.

Havent tried to update the firmware yet. Probably wont do auto-update but will give it the latest tomorrow manually.

Having a hell of time getting plugins to work, had to adjust it logged into the local router wifi and using SmartPSS to see my changes as I couldnt get a plugin to work with IE or Pale Moon...kept coming up corrupt file.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I think there is a folder someplace on your computer called webrec, that is where the plugin crap goes. Delete it and reinstall, might make a difference if its corrupt. Also delete your temp files and browser cache.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That option has been there for sometime in the newer firmwares. I always disable it at first startup, because I don't want them having my email address. (tinfoil)

I have yet to see the cloud update work in my cams. I've tried it manually several times.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It was a lifesaver yesterday.

I dont mind the Chinese having my email address... they can always steal it from the NSA if they really want it anyway.. :D

BTW on an unrelated matter, Thanks Looney, received.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
That option has been there for sometime in the newer firmwares. I always disable it at first startup, because I don't want them having my email address. (tinfoil)

I have yet to see the cloud update work in my cams. I've tried it manually several times.
You are correct in the Cloud update not working, I tried for the heck of it last night.