Foscams dropping every 10 mins

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two foscam 9821 v2. I never bothered to really study my network logs but I had some other issues and got a new router and been digging into the logs.

These two cameras consistently drop and regain their IP almost like clock work every 10 mins. they were on 2.11.28. I updated one to 2.x.1.10 - and now its unresponsive in the GUI as I was going to disable UPnP and 1-2 other modifications. So I am afraid to update the firmware on the second anyone.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't update until you are sure you have the correct firmware. Hard reset the downed camera. Hopefully it will come back.

Foscams are a pain in the ass to update. You have to go from one firmware to the next. Don't skip any, example: Firmware v1 to v2 to v3 etc.

Start with your current firmware and go up one at a time. Don't jump ahead, you will brick them.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
per my post above saying my current firmware and then what I put on - according to this link I should be fine? Download Foscam Firmware

Still any reason why the cameras just drop and get a new DHCP every 10 mins? I have the DHCP set to reservations in the router, just seems like its doing something wrong to have to do that every 10 mins when no other device does this action so often

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like you did it right. It may have lost signal during the upload. Reset it, start over.

Assign the cameras a static ip.. Turn off DCHP in the cameras.

Make sure and have them hardwired during updates.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ah ok thanks
ill hardwire during update and put them on static i was using DHCP reservation instead
should i move them outside my DHCP pool?

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I would. Also turn off uPnP inside the cameras, no reason to tell the net they are there if you give them a static ip.

As a side note: Foscams phone home every 20 seconds. Only way you can see them calling home is blocking all external ports or use wireshark to watch their traffic.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks. less concerned about them calling home. I just see every 10 mins its dropping its DHCP and then picking it back up. I'll move them over to static.