Frigate recommended cameras still valid?

bdbull

n3wb
Reaction score
Are the recommended cameras in the Frigate docs still valid? I have one of the Amcrest cams that is recommended, and so far it works fine. So I guess I'm wondering if the others are worth the extra $100. I have a large yard and am really just looking for "overview/observer" type cameras.

Thread from a few years ago with satellite image of my yard: Looking for suggestions for my large yard

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are the recommended cameras in the Frigate docs still valid?
As far as Frigate is concerned, any Dahua camera should work. Some are better than others obviously or more suited to specific uses.

You do generally get what you pay for, especially when it comes to nighttime performance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have one of the Amcrest cams that is recommended, and so far it works fine. So I guess I'm wondering if the others are worth the extra $100.
Yes, worth it. The $100 less Amcrest 4K/8MP cams have a 1/2.7" sensor suitable for a 2MP camera, certainly not an 8. As stated by @tangent it would have VERY poor nighttime performance and I'll add "especially if there's motion".

Look into the 4MP turret cams with a 1/1.8" sensor as sold by Empire Tech; 2.8, 3.6 and 6mm versions are available ==>> Empire Tech T54IR-AS-S3

bdbull

n3wb
Reaction score
LED vs. IR...any noticeable difference for what I'm looking for, long range viewing? And what about lens size, 2.8, 3.6, 6? From what I've read, the larger lens size gives a smaller field of view.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The size of the image sensor matters. Bigger is better, but it's speced as a fraction.

bdbull

n3wb
Reaction score
The size of the image sensor matters. Bigger is better, but it's speced as a fraction.
Right, both of the more expensive recommended cameras have a 1/1.8" sensor, but they also have different lens size options so I was curious about that...as well as IR vs. LED. Just looking at the descriptions, IR seems to have a max illumination distance of 164' while the LED's max is 98'. If that's true, then it sounds like IR would be better for my situation.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The white LED is not much better than holding your mobile device up and pointing out into the dark.

It looks bright looking straight at it, but it doesn't reach very far.

Keep in mind the rated distances are under IDEAL situations and setup that they used, which is usually a slow 1/3 shutter and gain at 100 with a stationary object.

But if freezing motion to get a clean capture of a perp is your goal instead of a ghost blur with that slow shutter, once you speed the shutter to 1/60 or 1/120, you will find the illumination distances are at least half if not 75% less than the rated distance.