Front Door Cam

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought an IPC-K42A from Andy and although it's for indoor use, the areas outside I'd like to use it is very sheltered from the elements.

My question is, would it be better to mount the camera facing away from the door to get people approaching, or would it be better to face it towards the door to monitor when packages arrive, and ID people as they turn around and leave? Or, would I be better off with a doorbell cam?

Here's a mockup of facing outward, of course I'd mount it higher at about 7' rather than this stool I've got it sitting on
Door.20220329_115535777.17.jpg

Here's approximately where I'd mount it facing the door, of course I'd aim it down more
Door.20220329_095949786.18.jpg

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on your intended use I suppose. As a single camera there, most would have it looking out to see people approaching. If you can get a package view along with that great. If not, then go with another cam as a package camera or something like the "boobie cam" with two different views from the same camera.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I should have mentioned I have a 5442T-ZE on the corner eve watching the driveway (you can see location in 1st photo near downspout), so it can see people as they approach, I just lose sight of them before they reach the porch. I think for that reason I'm leaning towards facing the door, looking for packages and getting faces as they leave.
Dahua26.20220329_113405996.19.jpg

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Whatever works for you and your setting.

Personally, I think that I'd still like to have the second view out from the door. Especially if you lose sight of someone approaching even with the second camera. To me having multiple views of areas of primary interest like a front door has more value than a package cam. I have a dedicated package cam and while kind of nice to have it's probably my least useful cam. Mostly the benefit is that it helps me know what something is vs that it is. Which I kind of already know by that point. But I have probably 4 other cams watching the approach from different views and one that shows that area in part. Mine doesn't really catch many faces leaving since most packages are kind of tossed there or when someone does place it, they turn and are gone so quickly that the face is mostly missed. It would catch someone exiting the door.

But my purposes aren't your purposes/setting... Try it and see what you think. You can always move it.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm probably also motivated by the fact that under the eve is super easy to access, while installing near the door would be quite a lot more difficulty since it's an exterior wall, with fire stops I'd need to drill through. Due to that difficulty, I'd probably end up drilling a hole in the uninsulated alcove ceiling and dangle the CAT6 down to around the door.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, that often tends to be a harder area for installation and to do in a way that looks acceptable. Took me a while to get around to doing that one too for the same reason. But glad now that I finally did put one there.

Edit to add:
Not sure about your siding but if you can lift the edge, then you might be able to come back from where you're dropping it for the door view to the door mostly under the siding.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Having a cam looking at the area for a 'package drop' seems like a waste to me. I mean if you have proper coverage you should get good shots of the package being dropped and likewise if someone comes up to take it. It will not walk off on it's own.

Having redundant coverage is important to me. See the thread below.

Reaction score
screw that! too many videos of break ins happening right at the door. Doesn't take much to hide one's face upon approaching a door. While at the door is when they look up and around the area before kicking it in.
Why one camera at front door...when you can go for two! One really down low looking up. Another for general purpose (seeing what person is doing, packages, etc).
I have two just for this purpose.
A Dahua VTO2202 villa intercom unit around the 4' high mark with fisheye lends and a older non-AI 4231 up high in corner looing down. The 4231 has moved a little in the last 6 months so re-adjustment camera season is right around the corner! And some time adjustments...grrr
Doorbell x19 2022-03-29 04.55.59.805 PM.jpgPorch x7 2022-03-29 04.55.53.5 PM.jpg

Last edited: