Front yard camera pole recommendations

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a pole to put in my front yard. I believe a 16' long 6x6 would not be rigid enough and I'm not sure if I could find any glulam posts pressure treated the full length. I am leaning towards a schedule 40 4" steel or aluminum pipe and putting it in concrete 3' in the ground. My intention is to have 2 LPRs, and at least 1 overview cam watching every vehicle that goes past my house (both directions rear tag). Someday maybe a PTZ at the top. The pole will also support a ubiquity radio for uplink, and a network box with a PoE switch for the cams. Have any of you guys done this? Not trying to get anything as large as a telephone pole.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

LT20

n3wb
Reaction score
You might consider looking into what your local fence supply dealers carry. When I built my side fences, I went with galvanized "2.5 in." pipe. It's actually 2.375, and was marketed as MT40 which isn't sch 40. It's closer to a sch 20 in wall thickness, but tests close to 40 specs. They're heavily galvanized, and one that has been laying in the back yard open-ended for a year doesn't show any sign of corrosion. Wood to post adapters could be easily modified to become brackets to mount gear on. I believe my top caps are aluminum, but I don't see any sign of galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals yet. Considering you'll be building a lightning rod, I'd recommend grounding it well (as well as ensuring your house ground and neutral connections are good).

For reference, MT40 fence tubing.