FTP Snapshot Setup

65kfoster

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my snapshots are not working.

Currently i record everything using my NVR but I wanted to setup my Dahua 2231 camera to send a snapshot to my FTP server when motion is detected.

The steps I performed are the following:

1. Setup the local SFTP server under storage / destination.

When you click test it says it was successful.

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 4.08.46 PM.png

I then setup the Snapshot Schedule:
Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 4.11.33 PM.png

An the motion Detection Settings:

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 4.12.02 PM.png

All of this seems to be working correctly and i can see it detecting motion on the alarm screen but none of the files ever show up on my FTP server.
Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 4.12.54 PM.png

At first i thought this might be a permissions error but using a SFTP client I can upload / change / delete using the same user i configured in the Dahua settings.

Any thoughts on what i should look at next? Im stumped on what other settings could be preventing it.

Thanks!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Whats the period for motion detection?

Edit; Oh I see it is firing because its in your log.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What about Destination -> Path? Is FTP checked under the snapshot header?

I don't use FTP. I use NAS (NFS) but it's similar settings so I was going over mine to see whats different.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What happens if you purposely mistype the username/password and hit "Test". I'm curious if its really doing anything when you hit that button.

Can you do a tail -f /var/log/ftp_log_file on your FTP server when doing the test to see if its actually connecting?

65kfoster

n3wb
Reaction score
It says "Right verification failure" which i assume means your username or password is wrong.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You could also do a tail -f /var/log/ftp_log_file when walking in front of the camera to see if its trying to write a snapshot from the motion trigger. If its not, then its not a FTP issue I wouldn't think. Gotta be a setting missed somewhere.

If this is local you could also try regular ol'e FTP instead of SFTP. It may be worth a try anyway.

65kfoster

n3wb
Reaction score
Biggen Thanks for pointing me in the right direction that gave me enough information to figure out how to solve it. Not sure why but it was not taking the password settings even though the GUI said it was sucessful. I removed the user and readded everything from scratch and its working without issue. Thanks !

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I had my suspicions that the "test" button wasn't what we thought it was. When in doubt, hit the logs at the server. I have solved more problems doing that over the years than all other solutions put together!