FW upgrade DH-NVR4116-8P

miljume

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased a 2nd hand NVR from Dahua and saw that the FW was really old
From what I can tell this is a "gray zone" Chinese version and I wan't to check if it's possible to upgrade FW

Current FW:
Web: 3.1.0.52472
System Version: 3.200.0000.8.R
Build Date: 2015-04-28

On one IP cam site I found a bin file named "dh_nvr4xxx_eng_p_v3.203.0000.0.r.20170612.bin"

Is it safe to use this file for upgrade or is there any other file I should use?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, it is really safe to use any random firmware you find on the internetz ;-)

Off course you should not download anything shady!

At least download it from Dahua itself: Firmwares

But no-one on this forum can guarantee your NVR will survive this firmware upgrade. Why would you even think to flash it? I personally would never ever trust a 2nd hand machine in my network, except if thrown away in a hidden and well secured vlan.

Good luck!
CC

miljume

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't find the FW on a shady site, it's from a legit IP camera reseller. I also realize that just google for a random FW isn't a good idea
The FW is not on the Dahua site as I assume that there is only FW for original products (and not Chinese versions)

The main reason to upgrade is that I lack features, especially the possibility to browse from NVR directly to camera behind PoE switch. That feature is not in my version and seems to be in later versions

The reason I wrote in this forum was that I hoped that there was another person with this NVR that could confirm if there is any later FW available

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
If you clicked on my link provided, checked the NVR tab, you could effectively find the same file-name (dh_nvr4xxx_eng_p_v3.203.0000.0.r.20170612.bin), but I would trust that more than a "reseller" (who might or might not have put his logo in the firmware).

Finding another person who might have bought an original or OEM NVR and positively flash it might not be a valid gamble that yours might flash. If you bought the NVR for 50$ to say, then it might be worth the risk. For me, you are looking for a needle in a haystack.

Try it out, and let us know the result! Worst case it is bricked, best case it simply refuses to load that firmware.

miljume

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank's, I thought it was possible to search for the product name but that was not the case ...

But isn't it possible to tell from current FW versions what new FW that can/should be used?

My questions might be stupid, in that case I apologize in advance

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
No, that's the complexity Dahua (and other vendors) are imposing to disencourage people flashing other (native?) firmwares with more capabilities.

But from your first post, you would go from 3.200.0000.8.R to v3.203.0000.0.r which is not that "wooooooow", so I don't think you would gain many capabilities....