Garage cam

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking to buy a dome camera for my garage. I want it corner mounted from the ceiling with a horizontal FOV of at least 90° and good IR and LUX. I've been looking at the Dahua cameras and many of them are nicely priced and are supposed to be of pretty good quality.
Any recommendations? :)
I am going to be using Blue Iris by the way.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Garage cams are the easiest ones to pick, as any cam with wide angle option will work.

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your recomendations eveybody. I was looking at the Dahua DH-IPC-HDW4421C and it says: adapter not included -what do they mean by that? Power adapter?

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
basically, you want to be looking for a 2.8mm lens, that should definetely get you the field of view you want. Not sure if you want audio or not but it may be a good idea to look into cameras with built in mics.

No power adapter included means that it comes with no power supply. You will need to provide you own, best bet is to just use a POE injector, that way you can run one network cable to your camera as opposed to a network cable PLUS a power wire pair.

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
basically, you want to be looking for a 2.8mm lens, that should definetely get you the field of view you want. Not sure if you want audio or not but it may be a good idea to look into cameras with built in mics.

No power adapter included means that it comes with no power supply. You will need to provide you own, best bet is to just use a POE injector, that way you can run one network cable to your camera as opposed to a network cable PLUS a power wire pair.
Hey, I'm not sure what you mean by a POE injector (I'm a newbie) can you send me a link or 2 to one? :)

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey Blake,

Are you getting a recorder too? Some of the recorders come with built in POE switches which makes installation alot easier. If you dont know alot about setting IP addresses and such, thats probably the best way to go.

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Blake,

Are you getting a recorder too? Some of the recorders come with built in POE switches which makes installation alot easier. If you dont know alot about setting IP addresses and such, thats probably the best way to go.
I'll be recording directly to my hdd on my computer. I already have 3 Vivotek cams connected -2 via POE. I just wasn't sure what you meant by poe injector. A power supply is still needed if I use the injector -and the injector has to be hooked up to my network. I was just a littl unsure what kind of injector to buy. I recently bought a couple of Dahua cams (SD29204-GN and IPC-HDBW4421E) and I'd like to use POE as I will be having these outside my house.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
do you have any open poe ports on your switch that you have the vivotek cams hooked up to?

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
do you have any open poe ports on your switch that you have the vivotek cams hooked up to?
Yes I have only one of the 2 cams connected to my switch (TPLink mentioned in previous post). My network is spread out quite a bit so I need another switch for the 2 new cams I bought. I have the TP-Link POE switch in my homemade observatory.The 2 cams I bought, I'll be installing in my 2 story garage so I need another switch or something -I'm going to have a total of 3 cams there. They will be hooked up to a Zyxel NBG 4615 router which is in AP repeater mode. Unfortunately I have to use wifi in my garage. Not sure yet if this repeater is good enough though. I won't be recording continuesly so I hope it will be adequate.