Gday from the land of Oz - cheap camera systems

in2it

n3wb
Reaction score
How have I ended up here ??
Well, it turns out that I'm stumbling around using terms, acronyms and abbreviations that I know very little about.

I've bought a 4K POE (8 cameras and NVR 4TB hard drive in a package) via the internet that I'm using as a home security system. I did research what I thought I needed in some detail, and I must admit that so far I am really impressed. From a noob viewpoint, great quality video into a 4K monitor, features such as alarms, IR, white light, microphone, speaker.
For what I paid, and what I got, I'm happy with it as a stand alone system.

Next came internet connectivity and software. Here, I've become a bit leery about the next step and the software package that came with the system. So I started looking at and reading about other software on the net - ipcamtalk and Blue Iris popped up (you folks, stand up and pat yourselves on the back).

Now I'm working towards the internet connectivity. I discovered that my ISP provided router doesn't cut it any more. Evilbay has just delivered my new router that has DDNS and VPN capabilities which I am commissioning. I can ping my NVR and all cameras.
So here I am, sitting on the fence - package software or BI. I have trawled through some of the BI threads, ONVIF seems important and my system offers that (along with N1 and RTSP via a checkbox).
Watch out for me in the BI forum. Thanks.

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
I must admit that so far I am really impressed. From a noob viewpoint, great quality video into a 4K monitor, features such as alarms, IR, white light, microphone, speaker.
For what I paid, and what I got, I'm happy with it as a stand alone system.
Let me guess, it's Swann from Bunnings :p.