Geofence is changing status and phone hasn't moved

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As the subject says.. iPhone is sitting stationary on a table, inside the geofence. It will then go out of the fence, and change profile. Then, a short time later go back in and switch profiles. It keeps doing this, while inside the geofence. Everything is latest versions. I've expanded geofence radius and it doesn't help.

Geofence has been working reliably for 2.5 years. This started Saturday night.

Any ideas on what to do or look at?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming you're still on the same version of BI as you were BEFORE Saturday night I'd first go to Google Maps and watch my phone (the blue dot) while zoomed it a bit to see if the blue dot moves around a lot.

I'm in a rural area where the 3 towers that are needed (I think) for triangulation are weak and so my "blue dot" seems unsettled at times and moves around quite a bit.

EDIT: Is your Wi-Fi on or off at the time the change (geofence moving around a lot) first started showing up?

Last edited:

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Blue dot is stable. WiFi is on and hasn’t changed.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Blue dot is stable.
But is it stable while your geofence is ‘bouncing’ between inside and out? When this happens to me, it is not.

(I‘ve also observed this bouncing behavior when I‘m sitting near the edge of the geofence radius. One is at a location where I take a break during my neighborhood walks.)

Like TonyR, I’m in an area with borderline tower reception. At random times I get wildly bounced back & forth between towers when my phone tries to select the strongest among their weak signals. I use an Android phone and can observe this directly with the Network Cell Info app. That said, I’ve not managed yet to correlate these events and my geofence bouncing observations .

And don’t discount GPS system issues... the ones we can can read about are reported at gps.gov .

BTW, I use Tasker to intercept my Blue Iris notifications, including geofence event messages. When I first started to experience geofence bouncing I started to log all my Blue Iris geofence events & locations. It is interesting to look at this data once In awhile.

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! My location is bouncing around, intermittently. Now to sort out how to get my geofence reliable again..

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Unless your device‘s gps sensor is failing and you can get it replaced, I’m not sure what you can do.

I’ve basically resigned myself to my own device’s sometimes flaky gps readings / geofence responses. Fortunately, I’ve noticed these occur only near my residence — which would seem to rule out my gps sensor as the point of failure. **

Instead, I have found a way to take control. When my device gets the geofence state wrong, I use JSON cmds to force Blue Iris to recognize the EXPECTED geofence state of my device. This triggers Blue Iris to execute the device specific actions I have set up... I’ve previously posted about these cmds here...

** It’s also theoretically possible that something nefarious (illegal signal jamming) is occurring...
learn more... However, I’m more suspicious of some kind of issue with my device’s Assisted-GPS integration with the weak cell towers when gps satellite data acquisition is slow or compromised.

Last edited: