Geofencing

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, I just switched over to fiber optics for internet and my ISP does not provide static IP addresses. I know BI suggest using NGROK but I currently use Zero Tier to connect to the BI server from outside the geofence. I have my IPhone geofence set up using my current location, not server location, and I have double checked the LAT/LONG setting in BI and they are correct. But in the last couple of days my phone keeps switching from inside to outside the geofence without me going anywhere. Any Ideas Why? Also when I run through the remote set up wizard and get to the WAN address page, verified server is timing out. Do I need to change the WAN IP address to the Zero Tier IP address? Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I just switched over to fiber optics for internet and my ISP does not provide static IP addresses.
Just to clarify some terminology, I don't think not having a "static" IP address from your ISP is the issue, I believe it's that the IP may not be "public" (accessible via WAN).

If the IP was "public" but not "static", then DDNS could take care of your issue. :cool:

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to clarify some terminology, I don't think not having a "static" IP address from your ISP is the issue, I believe it's that the IP may not be "public" (accessible via WAN).

If the IP was "public" but not "static", then DDNS could take care of your issue. :cool:
You are probably right but I have always believed you needed a static IP address to run blue iris. I use a Ubiquiti Dream Machine, which is new, and I have noticed it has a different IP (in the 100 range for WAN) and everything else seems to be in the 192 range. When I switched from ATT uverse to broadband the ATT setting were copied over so I see one default network in the 192 range and two wifi networks, "AT&T" and "MY House". I not very tech savy so its a little confusing to me. Are saying that I should not need to use Zero Tier or NGROK? If not how can you set it up using the Remote Access Wizard? Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are saying that I should not need to use Zero Tier or NGROK? If not how can you set it up using the Remote Access Wizard? Thanks
No, I'm not saying that, just trying to clarify some terminology.

I will say that using Zerotier with BI is a great idea, as port forwarding (and using BI's Remote Access Wizard) is NOT recommended. Instead, a VPN setup like OpenVPN on your router and OpenVPN clients on the smartphones works BUT...the Zerotier setup with BI is likely easier for you AND has been done successfully by many here on IPCT.

Try this:

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, I'm not saying that, just trying to clarify some terminology.

I will say that using Zerotier with BI is a great idea, as port forwarding (and using BI's Remote Access Wizard) is NOT recommended. Instead, a VPN setup like OpenVPN on your router and OpenVPN clients on the smartphones works BUT...the Zerotier setup with BI is likely easier for you AND has been done successfully by many here on IPCT.

Try this:

OK Thanks, I will do some research on the VPN's, because that went right over my head. I know VPN is Virtual Private Network, you lost on the open part. Do you recommend a separate computer/network to run BI on? I have seen on youtube that some people run theirs on a separate computer from their main one. Also, I just left the house and the BI switched from the home mode to away but I did not get a notification and I noticed that zero tier somehow got turn off on my phone. The tablet worked fine. Both phone and tablet changed to home when I returned but the server computer in the house still showed away. I guess they will all get on the same sheet of music eventually.

AndrewNorCal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
... I noticed that zero tier somehow got turn off on my phone.
I find that ZeroTier time-out and disconnects on my iPhone and iPad after some unknown amount of time. I suspect this is just the iOS and not ZeroTier. I just know to turn VPN on in Settings before I launch the BI app.

But I'm not wanting live notices from BI. I have a separate security system for that. (It's a family business.)

I just found this, maybe it'll help:
How to Prevent VPN from Being Turned Off on iPhone | PrivacySharks

It sounds like the VPN may turn off when you go to a new WiFi network as a battery savings feature.

Andrew