getting PTZ to work with Hik PTZ (thru UI3)?

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am trying to get the PTZ control to work using the UI3 web interface for a Hikvision PTZ camera model DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3. If I open the camera's Hikvision web interface then the PTZ controls work fine. But when I try to use the PTZ controls through the UI3 web interface nothing happens. I have 3 other almost identical cameras (unbranded Hik PTZ model IPC-374-PTZ) running an older version of the Hik firmware and they all are controllable though the web interface. If you have this Hikvision DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 camera and can use the PTZ control from the web interface, would you please share screen shots of your configs? Thank you very much!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the Hikvision web interface.

It is gonna be the PTZ protocol used in BI under PTZ control. Look and see what it says for Network IP for those similar cameras. They are probably either ONVIF or one of the Hikvision in the pulldown. Try those 3 and see which one works for that camera.

1719456835567.png

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So I tried using the ONVIF (OXML) protocol, the Hikvision DS-2DE/2DF-AE/7208 protocol, and the Hikvision/Abus protocol and none of them worked for PTZ control through UI3. Under the BI camera VIDEO tab, I also tried logging into the camera using both the ADMIN user as well as an ONVIF user to see if that made a difference and it didn't (previous to this I turned on the ONVIF under the camera's Integration Protocol tab). I also made sure the ENABLE PTZ and OTHER CONTROLS was turned on and that the ENABEL PTZ UI was checked. The firmware on this camera (V5.7.11 Build 230612) is the most recent one (and only one) I could find on the Hikvision website.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Did you run Find/Inspect when you added the camera to BI?
Yes, I did.

This is what the Find/Inspect shows:
Opening 192.168.9.20 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2024-06-27T20:06:12.000Z
Requesting device information...
Bad response
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Has Search services: /onvif/SearchRecording
Has Imaging services: /onvif/Imaging
Has media services: /onvif/Media
Has RTP_RTSP_TCP, requesting profiles
Has Event services: /onvif/Events
Has WSPullPointSupport
RelayOutputs: 0
InputConnectors: 0
Has Device IO services: /onvif/DeviceIO
AudioOutputs: 1
Opening 192.168.9.20 port 8999...
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
HTTP 12029
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
Cantonk port 34567?
RTSP port open?
No automatic configuration made
Done

I also tried the following combinations of USER and Make/Model, and none of them worked for PTZ control either.
USER - Make / Model
Admin - Generic/ONVIF
Admin - Hikvision / DS-2DE2A404IW,2DF8236IX RTSP
Admin - Hikvision / DS-2DExxxx RTSP
Onvif - Generic/ONVIF
Onvif - Hikvision / DS-2DE2A404IW,2DF8236IX RTSP
Onvif - Hikvision / DS-2DExxxx RTSP

I figure the odds are likely that at least a couple other members in this forum have the same Hikvision DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 camera that I have and I assume that they have PTZ control, otherwise, they probably would have posted something here, I would think. But I didn't find anything when I initially searched this forum for an answer. I really appreciate the help in troubleshooting this. If I can't get it to work, I'll have to return the camera because no PTZ control through Blue Iris is a deal killer for me.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Did you enter the user name and password for the camera into Blue Iris prior to clicking Find/Inspect?
yes I did, but the first part of the information that is returned showed a line that said "Bad Response" so that concerned me a bit. I also logged directly into the camera to make sure I hadn't mistyped the username or password.

I think I'm going to try a full reset and then re-add it back into Blue Iris one more time before returning the camera for a refund.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bad response means you do not have the onvif password correct.

Did you change the admin password? If so it probably didn't carry over.

Does the GUI have a ONVIF Manager tab?

If not create another user and password and use that for BI and see if the bad response goes away. Then it should work.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I changed the admin password when I had to initialize the camera. I know that the admin password is correct because it allows me to log into the camera's web interface. I also originally created an ONVIF user and gave it administrative rights. However, I've never tried to logging to the camera's web interface with the ONVIF username and I just tried that now and it doesn't work. So I went back in (as admin) and added a second ONVIF user with admin rights, then I logged out and tried logging back in with the new ONVIF user and it also didn't work. I would think that an ONVIF user should be able to log into the camera's web interface but maybe not. As for a ONVIF Manager GUI, here is what it shows:
onvif GUI.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have seen instances where when the admin password is changed, the ONVIF password for admin remains the original password.

So try the original password. And maybe try a factory reset if that doesn't work.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I think I'm going to try a full reset and then re-add it back into Blue Iris one more time before returning the camera for a refund.
I have (2) Hikvision 'DS-2DE3A400BW-DE' Pan/Tilt cams and one point these worked find with Blue Iris, but something must have changed along the way because I can no longer use Blue Iris to move the cams - I have to use the Web GUI

I don't think it is a problem with your cam

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well something finally fixed the issue. I did a full factory reset on the camera, then I setup the Admin user (when initializing the camera) and I setup an ONVIF user. Then in Blue Iris when adding the camera, I left the defaults of Make: Generic/ONVIF with the Model: *RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4 and ran the Find/Inspect. Oddly enough I still got the "Bad response" in the inspection log. Next I enabled PTZ control and changed the Network IP to ONVIF (OXML) and then locked in those settings by pressing OK. At that point I checked for PTZ control and it wasn't working. Next I tried switching the PTZ Control Network IP to Hikvision DS-2DE/2DF-AE/7208 and then I finally got PTZ control of the camera through the Blue Iris UI3 web interface (woo-hoo)! Another odd but minor thing was when I tried using the PTZ controls in the Blue Iris program interface, they didn't work but that is OK because I never use those control within Blue Iris. So maybe I had some error in the camera settings and the full reset wiped that out because I know I tried the same combination of settings previously and it didn't work. There was one other minor issue which I also got resolved. The Main Streaming profile selected in the Network IP Configuration window was left as (default) and showed only "/". I set the sub-stream to (default) and it showed the same "/" but the sub-stream didn't work. I did some searching for possible Hikvision streaming profiles and found this URL (/Streaming/Channels/102/?transportmode=unicast) that got the sub-stream working too. Here are some screen shots of my settings that worked, in hopes that it helps someone else.

BI camera add.PNG

BI PTZ settings.PNG

So all is good. I'm glad I persevered thanks to forum members who offered troubleshooting suggestions.