Gmail email filters for NVR images?

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys
Cannot work out the best way to filter incoming emails to delete the ones WITHOUT attachments. NVR send 3 emails for Tripwire - alert that it was activated, the actual image and the 3rd one is all clear alert.
I just want to keep the ones with images, but cannot work out how to do it - there is only an option to filter if an email HAS the attachment, not if it does not.
Thanks

PS: Just thought of something. I will send the email to another Gmail mailbox just for NVR. There I will create a filter to forward emails WITH attachment to my personal email. Don't know how well it will work - will check it tonight

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
SergeyAU,

PS: Just thought of something. I will send the email to another Gmail mailbox just for NVR. There I will create a filter to forward emails WITH attachment to my personal email. Don't know how well it will work - will check it tonight
That's what I do, It works great.
I set up a gmail acct used only by my NVR.
All 3 emails for an event go to that inbox.
I have a filter set up. Only emails with an attachment get forwarded to my "real" mailbox. (my main inbox)

Don't know how well it will work
The gmail filter works great! The dahua NVR, not so great. Maybe 80% of the time, a snapshot is sent. 20% of the time, the 1st and 3rd email is sent. I strugled, and tried many things, but I couldn't eliminate the dropped email containing the snapshot.

I use gDMSS Plus on my android. The push notifications work really well. I get the push notification within seconds. Email can take several minutes.
The push notification tags 30 seconds of video, so I can quickly and easily watch the event (use substream, not mainstream, for better playback speed over cellular).
It's so much better than a simple snapshot, and it's faster.

Fastb

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Fastb!
How do you have your network setup to get the feed pushed to the phone? Via their cloud service?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
How do you have your network setup to get the feed pushed to the phone? Via their cloud service?
As long as the NVR can reach the internet, the network setup (architecture) doesn't matter.
Right now, your NVR can send emails (outbound to internet). Therefore, your NVR can push notifications to your cell phone. (outbound to internet)
You need to buy gDMSS (android) or iDMSS (apple). $5 or $10. I use gDMSS plus, which supports Push.
Install on phone. Set it up.
How to view Dahua cameras with SmartPhone

If you want to view video clips after receiving the push notification, you need to be able to reach the NVR from the internet (inbound from internet). Then you have to implement VPN (preferred & secure) or port forwarding (not very secure).

Fastb

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don’t want to create another gmail account for that, ... I was able to setup a rule on my existing gmail account that deleted any emails incoming from my NVR that didn’t have an attachment.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
aristobrat,

setup a rule on my existing gmail account that deleted any emails incoming from my NVR that didn’t have an attachment.
I considered that - it's more straightforward. And I should have suggested that approach in my reply.
I chose the dedicated gmail account because I wanted to track how many events DON'T have snapshots. So in my dedicated gmail inbox, I can look for "Start" and "End" email notices that DO NOT have a snapshot associated with it.
I guess I could have accomplished that with a filter in my main gmail account that would;
a) move all NVR emails to a seperate folder, and
b) copy all emails with attachments to my inbox.

A better mouse trap!

Fastb

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, guys
Can you tell me what is needed to setup the push notifications from NVR. It must use some middle man service if no ports are exposed to the internet. Is that done via Easy4IP?

Last edited: