Good outdoor enclosure dome for blackface Dahua PTZ?

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All these options I see for PTZs and I am just not seeing why I should spend $500+ when I can do $150 blackface PTZ + couple IR illuminators (would be nice to find curved oned that can do 120 or 180 degrees) + outdoor enclosure dome.

Question: one enclosure I bought before is not longer available. Any recommendations for a dome to put the PTZ in? I paid $60 for last one and it was great.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
guess it depends on how much zoom you need, 4x is not alot.. 12mm @ 2MP struggles to ID someone on the sidewalk 35ft away.. the $500 one gives you far better optics, twice the resolution, much more IR power, IVS Smart Features, and external Alarm & Audio.. oh and its like 2-3x faster than the mini-black face dahua.

also if you put that dome enclosure where it'll be exposed to the sun it will fog up over time... but if you really want to run the Mini-Black Face in adverse environment.. I could see it working pretty well.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nayr, appreciate how helpful you have been in other threads. So thanks!

So here is my conundrum: because I have this narrow 1 acre property, I either need to put three varifocal turrets (because I am just not finding 3-4MP 8mm and 12mm), or go with maybe a good PTZ with IR. Turrets possibly would give me better image, PTZ (in my view) would likely be better deterrent, since you don't know where it is pointing.
Domes possibly are cheap to replace. $600 camera... that price makes me more nervous.
Now I also looked into PIR sensors... but jeez $150 just for Ethernet interface plus possibly three PIR sensors at $100 each. Ouch.
Thinking was I do PTZ in a dome and then have three crappy older domes detecting motion and PTZ zooming in on the areas in question triggered by it. Maybe I am overthinking this.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bullets have 8mm and 12mm optics that you wont find on fixed lens Turrets.. and if you dont mind a big enclosure, you can get a Box camera that you can put any lens combination on it you want.. my LPR camera has as much zoom as my big black face dahua.. but was 1/3rd the cost..