Google Data Center Security: 6 Layers Deep

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I found this interesting and "deep"

Also, anyone ever thought about creating their own personalized email service instead of relying on the cloud?

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, anyone ever thought about creating their own personalized email service instead of relying on the cloud?
I used to run a mail server over 20 years ago. It's not that hard. Do a search on setting up your own SMTP server. Overview steps.

1. Get your own domain. example, let's say you registered arjun.com.
2. Set the MX record of arjun.com to point to your mail server's IP address. This can be done through your DNS provider or setup your own authoritative name server.
3. Follow online instructions how to setup. It comes built into many linux distributions.

One thing to note that it's a little harder nowadays because you lots of other mail servers may block you because they do not know who you are (otherwise anyone case setup mail server and spam people).

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, if you think this is secure...I know a few government agencies that the layers 1, 2 and 3 involve armed guards with M4's or shotguns :). Sadly though, the other layers are not as secure in different ways.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Your last point regarding possibly being blocked due to spam detection is spot-on. The issue is that no cloud company guarantees that our information is in safe hands. Although, I'm sure Google deploys a lot of redundancy on their client's data, there's always a chance of things going wrong. I've seen G-mail crash on numerous occasions and isn't confidence-inspiring. Even insurance companies can't do much when it comes to e-mails not being accessible. More and more people are moving online. However, I don't think there is a suitable replacement for the postal service yet.

I used to run a mail server over 20 years ago. It's not that hard. Do a search on setting up your own SMTP server. Overview steps.

1. Get your own domain. example, let's say you registered arjun.com.
2. Set the MX record of arjun.com to point to your mail server's IP address. This can be done through your DNS provider or setup your own authoritative name server.
3. Follow online instructions how to setup. It comes built into many linux distributions.

One thing to note that it's a little harder nowadays because you lots of other mail servers may block you because they do not know who you are (otherwise anyone case setup mail server and spam people).