Got my new PTZ today!

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is the latest Dahua ptz. It's smaller than any of the IR crazy zoom ptz's they have. This one is 2mp and 30x optical. I have it tested it and it works awesome. I'm like a kid on xmas!

photo12-2.jpg

photo22-2.jpg

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
That is totally sick! You mean to tell me there's IR under that lens behind the front shield? This is gotta see working man. That is pretty dang slick. It's not a total concealment like a bubble dome, but it is DAMN close. Nice.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yup, you can see a red glow behind that shield under the lens. I had it up and running and it is the same quality as my big PTZ with the IR's on the side. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I logged into each of them. This is just a temp install, trust me, I do not do work like this, LOL. But none the less, it looked amazing and whats nice is that it's dark so someone from a distance won't be able to tell where it's looking.

photo33-1.jpg

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Perfect install- don't change it LOL! The benefits of that camera would seem to be a low profile face, and what I'm assuming is a lighter, smaller camera which would be great for residential. Plus, the IR isolation from the lens seems absolute, which is another plus. But the larger one has a nicer hairdo from the back :cool:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Vector18 how much is one of those going for? Cheaper than the other one you have?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Vector18 how much is one of those going for? Cheaper than the other one you have?
I did buy an extra one in case anyone was wondering. It is a 2mp 30x optical zoom which is the same specs as the bigger one. It is about 100 dollars less than the big one though. I had to wait about a month for these because they're such a new model. I really like them and will most likely getting more of them.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So there's not a dome over it? Do they make it in 3MP? Does it work higher up the horizon than the older model? That was an issue when you zoomed in 20x, it wouldn't let you tilt up high enough.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So there's not a dome over it? Do they make it in 3MP? Does it work higher up the horizon than the older model? That was an issue when you zoomed in 20x, it wouldn't let you tilt up high enough.
I also did not like that about some of the dahua ptz's. This one seems to go upwards more. I'll have to test it out with the horizon. I do not see a 3mp version on their website.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks sweet

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is really nice. I wish Dahua had better distribution in the USA. How about that horizon zooming?

I have one of the bigger 2mp / 20x IR cams just like in your picture, installed on a short radio tower. It can't quite see the horizon when zoomed in all the way. To make things worse, a couple days after it was installed, it "lost" its ability to tilt upward as high as it used to. I can't really explain it. Its new maximum vertical angle was a good 5 or 10 degrees lower than before. Rebooting it didn't help. Then several months later for no apparent reason the problem just went away and now it has its normal range back. Anyway that normal range is still not quite large enough IMHO. It would be great to be able to zoom in on mountaintops and whatnot.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you have both of those cams in the same place, how about some comparison pics at full wide and full zoom, too!

I want to see what I am missing with just 20x zoom :)

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I pulled the new ptz down right away. I want to sell/install it as new. The two PTZ's looked exactly identical on my laptop. They are both 2mp 30x optical. The new model does turn up higher than
the big one though for a better horizon view. BP, it's hard to show you the difference between 20x and 30x if they are not side by side. But, I can tell you I used to have a 23x and I definitely see
the difference.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
The difference between 20 and 30x zoom isn't super drastic, but there is a difference of course. But when you factor in megapixel cameras, grabbing very usable still captures can negate the need to decide between 20 and 30x zoom. Real time zooming will show a difference a bit, but for captures it's not really needed. Especially considering retail usually charges a good deal more for higher zoom numbers. It's important to know how much zoom will be appropriate for your application. Sometimes a big zoom number isn't needed. However, your ptz definitely gives me camera lust vec!

This is a few zoom examples from my analog camera. I only go to 27x, but you can see the difference gets smaller as the zoom gets tighter.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg