Great Horned Owl Nesting Cam

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got all new Amcrest cams this year and I am very pleased. I use mine for my resident great horned owl nest in my yard. I now have two baby owlets and both parents, Jack & Carol are doing a great job caring for the nestlings. Here's a bit of info and a link to my web page where I have 24/7 live cams on the nesting barrel, I put up in a tree many years ago and a third cam on our deer feeder. Also here's a link to my last YouTube video. Take a gander if you like. Enjoy! I will copy and paste info below, thank you. I also attached a pic of a buck at our deer feeder. 14 point.

Cam info: Roof cam : 35' away-Amcrest IP2m-863e-ai, 25x zoom,. 1-13-22 , add Amcrest turret cam above to view inside the barrel IP5M-T1179EW, deer cam is Amcrest IP2M-841B-v3

Video info:
Day #1 of the second Great Horned Owlet. This shows Carol come and go three times. Both owlets are so close together they just look like a lump of cotton. You will hear the owlets chirp a few times. You will also see 1/2 of a rabbit Carol brought in the day before. Jack catches all the prey and lets Carol know so she can come get it. It seems odd to me that Jack doesn't come on to see the new hatchling. The last clip is of a Carolina Chickadee harassing Carol. I think a Northern Cardinal can also be heard in the background. Thank you for watching. Keep your comments kind. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel if you want to follow my owlets journey into the world this nesting season.. I have the info about my barrel and cams under the tab called "About" on YouTube. My live cams are here : www.okiebirdcam.com.

Attachments

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's my set up for the Amcrest IP2M-841B-v3 I have on my deer cam. I have been using the same bluebird meal worm feeder box since my first axis cam in 2002. It is about to fall apart, but I have had so many irons in the fire I have not had time to replace or fix it. Here's how it is set up: I have black pipe stuck in the ground with a racoon baffle below. The bluebird feeder box holding cam had plexi glass sides and a hole for the bluebirds to enter. The amcrest wouldn't work to view out the hole so I removed one side of the plexiglass. The box is mounted to black pipe using a flag pole holder. That way I can adjust the angle of the cam easily with the thumb screw. On top of the box I have a roof shingle clamped on the roof to give more protection from the rain.
The dangling baffle was added many years ago because I had a red shouldered hawk and a barred owl that would perch on the box roof and all you could see was their tail. People watching my live cam kept sending me screen shots showing a tail or something gross they were eating that was hanging off the roof in front of the camera lens view. I tried everything, finally I came up with this idea of hang a baffle from a branch above the cam. The baffle swings freely 12" above the camera roof. It has worked like a charm for over ten years now.
I wanted my bluebird box cam to have audio and bought the Amcrest 841, Jan 15th. I have not had time to mess with putting this cam in a better weather proof/ predator proof box and It looks like it is about to fall out. But it has been running fine since Jan 15th. Wish there was a way to block the wind noise.
Once my owlets fledge I hope to mount my old Dahua sd49225t-hn roof cam (that was nothing but trouble) on the house to view deer cam. The dahua needs an update to fix the reboot issue first. I lost so much owlcam footage last season with the Dahua and I am terrified trying to follow directions on how to do it without bricking it. I haven't wanted to deal with the stress of fixing it right now. I hope to add a new YouTube video today of my owlets if I can figure out why photoshop won't allow me to render my video I spent hours working on. Guess I'll see what rebooting my PC does :( Here's the link to my LIVE 24/7 videos of the two owlets and the deercam. Take care. www.okiebirdcam.com

^~~^
(@;@)
/)...)
“’’

Attachments

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My latest video is tough to watch. My owlets are branching out. And today there is a broad winged hawk badgering the owlets. Here's video I made today. Subscribe if you want to follow my owlets I named Bubo and Uki. thank you for watching.