Greetings from the Northern Neck of Virginia

Reaction score
The Northern Neck is a peninsula that rests between the Rappahannock and Potomac Rivers on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay and is the northernmost of three peninsulas that together form Virginia's “tidewater region". That concludes your Geography lesson for today. In any event, we move to this rural part of Virginia this past April to escape the millions of people in the Northern Virginia area, and our new home has four very old outdoor IP cameras that I'm replacing, plus running Cat6 to other areas for more coverage. We upgraded the infrastructure to a Unifi backbone, and my son was pushing me to get Unifi cameras, but I didn't care for the lack of interoperability. We'll likely get a Synology NAS as well, so keeping that in mind.

I was going through the process of trying to identify the right cameras, and it seems that may reviewers are paid reviews and seem to recommend the same set of cameras, Ring, Lorex, etc. Then I stumbled upon Reolink and got pretty excited, as their website is slick and the cameras look to be functionally capable on the surface. After almost pulling the trigger, I kept digging and started looking at Hikvision, which I initially dismissed as too expensive. This led me to look at Dahua, which then led me to this site, and now looking at rebranded Dahua's from Andy. I do like that there is an active user community around these cameras, so happy to become a part of that.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome!

My grandparents used to live in Heathsville (Bay Quarter Shores). As a kid in the early 80s, I would spend my summers down there. When I want people to understand just how rural it was, I explain to them them that at that time the nearest McDonalds was 45 minutes away (Warsaw). (It was a small two lane road, not the nice 4 lane highway they have now).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome!

My grandparents used to live in Heathsville (Bay Quarter Shores). As a kid in the 80s, I use to spend my summers down there. When I try to explain to people how rural it was, I tell them at that time the nearest McDonalds was 40 minutes away (Warsaw).
Yes, it's quite a step back in time. We are fortunate to live in the southern tip, next to Kilmarnock, so Walmart and Food Lion are 12 min away, and the Norris bridge to take us south to Gloucester (Home Depot - 35min), and Newport News (Costo, Whole Foods, Malls etc - 70 min) is 8 min, so being rural, we're closer to shopping than most of the NNK. Being retired helps... not in a hurry.