Guide for installing an Amcrest Bullet POE camera on stucco?

tacocat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey experts - I just bought an Amcrest Bullet-style POE camera. I wanted to install it on my garage wall which is made out of stucco. It is unfinished on the inside. I figured there'd be some hearty instructions on how to do this, but... not at all.

I have POE working... now I just need to drill a hole for the cable, and screw the 3 screws in. Do I need a junction box thing? How do I make this bug and water tight?

Any guides or videos that you'd recommend? My experience on this is pretty low.

Thanks.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey experts - I just bought an Amcrest Bullet-style POE camera. I wanted to install it on my garage wall which is made out of stucco. It is unfinished on the inside. I figured there'd be some hearty instructions on how to do this, but... not at all.

I have POE working... now I just need to drill a hole for the cable, and screw the 3 screws in. Do I need a junction box thing? How do I make this bug and water tight?

Any guides or videos that you'd recommend? My experience on this is pretty low.

Thanks.
What material is under the stucco? If it's wood just use wood screws. or use toggle bolts. use a good silicone to seal it I also out a nice layer on the base of the camera before you screw it down. than seal around the edges

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
As Robert said, wood screws may work. Ive used the 3" screws before as there is usually a 1" or 2" inch of foam between stucco and plywood behind it. be careful when screwing them tight, because you can crush or concave the stucco behind the camera box mount. I would use a camera mount junction box because you only need a 3/8 hole enough for the wire to go through the stucco, as opposed to a 7/8 hole for camera connector to fit through. you can also use Duct seal putty to plug the 3/8 hole before you mount the box, just be careful not to pull the wire out of hole any more while mounting box or crimping.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd use a masonry bit for drilling any holes in stucco. Make sure it's new and sharp, use plenty of speed and don't press too hard, let the bit do its thing...this will help prevent shattering, splitting of the stucco..

A hole for the cam's pigtail can be large, as much as 1" but generally 3/4". I'd go with the appropriate junction box, drill a smaller 3/8" hole (half as big as 3/4") for the un-terminated CAT-5e/6 cable, crimp on the RJ-45. Then drill pilot holes with a NEW, smaller masonry bit to mount the box with the appropriate fasteners depending on what's behind the stucco, as mentioned above by others.

A NEW 3/8" masonry bit will be less likely to cause shattering of the stucco than a larger 3/4" or 7/8".

Be sure to test first, then weather-proof, your male-to-female RJ-45 connection at the cam's pigtail before closing up the box.

Last edited: