Gunshots close

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep. My ears tell me they came from the rear of the house generally and reasonably close

Its not like we've never heard shots, and Im an experienced instructor and competitor, its just not typical around here. .Relatively quiet area in general, sleepy town that happens to be the county seat.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought bigredfish's new neighborhood were his parents house and just a sleepy town with older population. But it seems like the old dudes there are still gangsters!

The rapid shots felt like it was shooting at some actual target and not practice. The gators nearby might've got an extra meal that night.:eek:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah this was Moms place. We moved in to take care of her when she had her stroke deciding it was best for her, and for us long term.
Cheap living, beautiful backyard, and we thought peaceful until last night :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction score
and Im an experienced instructor and competitor
We probably have heard hundreds of thousands of shots over the years, right? But how many have we heard without hearing protection?

When I was in Lagos Nigeria, I heard shots several times a week, without hearing protection to muffle the noise. It was so loud and a different tone than what I was used to. But after a while, and finding out from security where the shots originated from, they almost always seemed closer than they were. Another issue is that we would get echos so trying to determine the direction was not easy. Almost all were AK47s. Found lots of 7.62mm around the complex, even in the pool.

But where you are, not much tall buildings to bounce the noise around. It was one, followed quickly by five more. Maybe a revolver? They all seemed to be the same, same gun?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep same gun I think. And you’re right about the difference. But a .22 or even 9mm or 38 has a sharper higher pitched crack to it. The more I’ve listened, especially the back porch cam, it had more of a thump. Rifle round I believe.