H.265 > 3mp?

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey folks...

I can't seem to find a ~4MP H.265 with say 25fps... With decent quality (name brand), and English firmware.

Does one exist? I found a Dahau model on AE but it seemed to be Chinese FW only. I have no problem buying domestic, but would rather get something that supports H.265.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
H265 is still extremely new to IP cameras, so it is no surprise that they are hard to find still. There are some Hikvision 4MP cams supporting h265 available on aliexpress but it kind of looks like they don't have as good of a sensor as the non-h265 4MP cams. I don't know if they are Chinese region or not, but the prices are quite low last I checked.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Both Dahua and Hikvision have them but with Chinese software only. You'll struggle to find an NVR with H.265 too.

Why rather H.265, I understand the benefits for putting stuff online but a WD Purple 4TB HDD is £130 ($200), so saving space isn't worth the hassle.

The new WD range have H.264+ which I am testing. Does appear better but until I post videos and pictures online for all to review then we won't have a definitive answer!

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd like H.265 because of future proofing. I do not intend on putting an NVR in right now - but maybe in the future... Say a year from now, and H.265 will be more the standard. There will come a day where H.264 is considered pretty old technology. (Granted that is years from now)

In the end, PQ and English FW is probably more important to me than H.265... But at the same time, with H.265 you can probably get better frame rates?

I just want to put this camera up and be done with it, not mess with it for > 5 years (or as long as I live here)... Hence my desire to future proof as much as reasonably possible.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Future proof... trust me and don't bother, you end up spending more now than it will be to just buy the newer camera in 5 years time (which will be 2x better anyway).

H.265 won't give you more frame rates and you can search for fenderman's posts where 15fps is the sweet-spot and 10fps is actually good 99% of the time.

If you want to get one and be done which is branded. Get the DS-2CD2342WD-I which has H264+, this is the standard that Hikvision will be supporting.

If you want H265, then you are getting a Chinese version camera or you are paying maybe 3 to 4 times.

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for reigning in my craziness.

I was leaning towards a turret - unfortunately milkisbad will not have the 4MP's for another maybe four weeks.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for reigning in my craziness.

I was leaning towards a turret - unfortunately milkisbad will not have the 4MP's for another maybe four weeks.
No worries... I'm exactly the same... it's only when I realised I have quadrupled my original budget that I go back and think... I don't need this... or this... or that function.