h264+ vs h265 benefits?

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been offered a system comprising a 7732NI-I4 with H264+ cameras which I am happy to go with.

My query that I have not found any real answer to is "should I be considering h265 cameras or is h264+ perfectly adequate, or even a better option perhaps depending on use".

I saw the video in this forum comparing h264 to h264+ which was informative but have found little comparing h264+ to h265.

I intend to stay fully HIKVISION so proprietary nature is not a concern to me.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
h264+ is perfectly adequate, or perhaps better depending on use.. correct.

right now at this point in the game I would not be looking for a h265 only setup, you'd be limiting your choices to a select few cameras and thats not worth it.

h265 is a bigger deal when you start reaching 8-12MP cameras that push some serious bandwidth all on there own, let alone with a handfull or two of them.

Quality at this point in time is likely to be a draw, or to the advantage of h264+..

if your phone/tablet or PC dont have h265 video decoding support (doubt it does at this point), its going to suck trying to play back video or view the streams on em.

Reaction score
Thanks - that has certainly made my decision much easier (well conclusive actually).
Much appreciated.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What @nayr said. Although I actually have turned off H264+ because I've found it's crap compared to H264.

Last edited by a moderator: