hard disk crash but still have access to files on drive

Reaction score
Woe is me, the hard disk crashed somethin' fierce. I can't boot to the hard drive but I can boot linux from a USB drive and access the drive. Looks like some of the data is still good.

So where is the configuration file for Blue Iris? After a bit of searching this forum, I get the impression that the configuration is stored in the registry and when one "backs up" the configuration it's to a .reg file. Then one must copy that .reg file off the hard drive.

Is this right? If it is, does anyone know 1) where the reg file is? 2) can the reg file be accessed, that is, is it a plain text file? 3) And could I be so fortunate as to be able to extract the blue iris configuration from it? (I can dream, can't I?)

Thanks for your help, even it is to know that I'm dreamin'

HSO

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't answer regarding the location of the .reg file but will ask if you attempted to perform a repair of the "crashed" disk.

I have repaired several un-bootable HDD's by placing in a external SATA-to-USB dock that is plugged into a Win 7 and now a Win 10 box and went to disk properties => tools => check for errors (this is CHKDSK) and also as needed by running System File Checker from command prompt, run as admin, "sfc /scannow". IMO, it's worth a shot.

Last edited:

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Woe is me, the hard disk crashed somethin' fierce. I can't boot to the hard drive but I can boot linux from a USB drive and access the drive. Looks like some of the data is still good.

So where is the configuration file for Blue Iris? After a bit of searching this forum, I get the impression that the configuration is stored in the registry and when one "backs up" the configuration it's to a .reg file. Then one must copy that .reg file off the hard drive.

Is this right? If it is, does anyone know 1) where the reg file is? 2) can the reg file be accessed, that is, is it a plain text file? 3) And could I be so fortunate as to be able to extract the blue iris configuration from it? (I can dream, can't I?)

Thanks for your help, even it is to know that I'm dreamin'

HSO
Check the below folder.
Capture.JPG