Hard Drive 8TB

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not made for dvrs or nvr though.. cool for a 8th though

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought one for my bi machine. For the price, I had too! Hope it delivers!

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't believe the Archive drives are meant to be written over constantly because they have a lower time before failure than the other drives do.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We will see. I'm going to give it a try. I just can't see why this drive wouldn't be ok. I guess i'm the beta tester and will let you all know.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just can't see why this drive wouldn't be ok. I guess i'm the beta tester and will let you all know.
Because it says: For Archive use only

with my 5 cams I am doing >240TB year on a 4TB, that says 180TB year max.. and I have more cams to add.

and that is like the exact opposite of surveillance use, one is extremely high usage and the other is nearly zero usage.

these are the reject drives with too many defects they cant sell for actual money

best of luck to you

Last edited by a moderator:

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm, thanks Nayr! Your advise and knowledge is always listened to by me! Canceling order! Thank you!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wise choice, that's a backup drive for like nightly backups.. one big write every once and a while.

most drives can last very long times when used as an archive drive, simply because they sit parked almost always until a backup kicks in.

using standard desktop drives for video recording is acceptable, but archival grade storage is along the lines of flash memory, optical media, magnetic tape.. light duty cycle and long life.. not really any need for a ton of that for surveillance video @ 100% duty, most interesting clips worth keeping are just a few hundred megs.

back when we had to use analouge tapes for video recording, surveillance systems would wear the stuff to dust.. alot of quality issues were due to tapes that been recorded over a thousand times.. imagine your recordings slowly getting worse with time, ugh.

harddrives are complicated beasts with there own lil operating system running on them, when a drive controller has very specific software designed for one task its a very bad idea to try to make it to the exact opposite.. just going to end in tears... it works the same way when people use surveillance grade disks in desktops/gaming rigs.. they fail alot quicker than a normal drive would have because they gave it a duty load it was not optimized for.

General Duty drives work well for most all tasks, specific duty drives should not be 'beta tested' unless you have more money than sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not much money but have the sense not to beta test. Thanks Nayr! I will look into something else.

dalepa

Reaction score
The larger the drive, the less the number of overwrites. If you record a singe cam continuously at 4mb/s you would only have ~15 complete overwrites a year, and its rated at 300,000

Also, Rated at 800,000 MTFB which is 91 years at 180tb/year

On hours is throwing me off a little with 1 year of on time. I have never seen this metric before. Why is on time a factor? Do the platters warp with use? Weird.

I don't believe the Archive drives are meant to be written over constantly because they have a lower time before failure than the other drives do.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Platters generally don't warp but bearings and motors tend to fail with more time spent spinning. Different bearing technologies and batches have different lifespans. Some new tech (fluid bearings for instance) can be brought to market a bit too early before they're perfected. Cheaper bearings and caps and other things can fail over time. Motherboards, for example, had a bunch of different brands dropping like flies about ten-15 years ago because they bought knock-off Chinese capacitors. IIRC correctly, they were developed when the Chinese stole part of the formula for making them from the Japanese but they only stole part of the complete plans and formula and thus their knockoff caps failed quickly. That's what I remember from reading a few articles at the time. Going cheap or low end costs money when you need something to perform all the time and you depend on it. You just have to hope that when you pay a premium for something like a hard drive that the company dotted their Is and crossed their Ts and all of their hard work comes together in a solid reliable product.

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been very happy with my old WD purple drives in my DVR for my TV and for my analog camera system. Both have been going 24/7 for years. I recently picked up a couple 4 TB Seagate Surveillance drives, so far so good, but I only have a few months on them. I picked them up to try due to a great sale price.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

with my 5 cams I am doing >240TB year on a 4TB, that says 180TB year max.. and I have more cams to add.

and that is like the exact opposite of surveillance use, one is extremely high usage and the other is nearly zero usage.

these are the reject drives with too many defects they cant sell for actual money

best of luck to you
Kind of what I said :) lol

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
These smr ones seem pretty useless for raid. Terrible rebuild times.
indeed store data on them and put them aside..

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been very happy with my old WD purple drives in my DVR for my TV and for my analog camera system. Both have been going 24/7 for years. I recently picked up a couple 4 TB Seagate Surveillance drives, so far so good, but I only have a few months on them. I picked them up to try due to a great sale price.
I recently bought two 4TB WD purple drives with the idea that I could use one to mirror the other in case one fails. I can't see where they would both fail at the same time unless the building burns down.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Platters generally don't warp but bearings and motors tend to fail with more time spent spinning. Different bearing technologies and batches have different lifespans. Some new tech (fluid bearings for instance) can be brought to market a bit too early before they're perfected. Cheaper bearings and caps and other things can fail over time. Motherboards, for example, had a bunch of different brands dropping like flies about ten-15 years ago because they bought knock-off Chinese capacitors. IIRC correctly, they were developed when the Chinese stole part of the formula for making them from the Japanese but they only stole part of the complete plans and formula and thus their knockoff caps failed quickly. That's what I remember from reading a few articles at the time. Going cheap or low end costs money when you need something to perform all the time and you depend on it. You just have to hope that when you pay a premium for something like a hard drive that the company dotted their Is and crossed their Ts and all of their hard work comes together in a solid reliable product.
I think a big manufacturer was Abit that did that. My friend had their mobo,and his broke. I stuck with Asus

Zeddy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

The reason these are labelled as archive drives is due to the technology they use to write the data on the platter and get such a large amount of space on them. They use something called Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR)

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/shingled-magnetic-recoding-smr-101-basics,2-933.html

They are designed to be written to sequentially, random IO kills the performance of these drives. I was thinking of installing one of these drives in my BI server and configuring BI to move recordings once a day or so from a WD purple, I need to plan it some more and research the capabilities of BI.