Hardware/Software Advice for BI

HomeWPoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got our VPN online. Been testing our 5 EmpireTech cams (w/micro SD's) with BI, UI3 and Pushover with our laptop (and 16ch POE switch) for the last few weeks. Not fond of switching from Pushover to UI3 to access notification videos on our iphone, but we can live with it. Thankfully, the Pushover photo attachment provides enough info most of the time so we don't the need to access UI3. Using email notifications with Pushover. Scripts (CURL?) are way over our head for the time being.

1. Are we somewhat on track with this software arrangement? Other options we should consider?

2. Have plans to add another 4 or 5 cams (total 9-10). Currently Looking at refurbed desktops on eBay. Focusing on units with i7/i9 (8th gen and higher), 16-32gb RAM, 1tb SSD on eBay for $400-$450. Plan to purchase a surveillance rated 4-6tb harddrive. With some judicious fine-tuning of BI/UI3, I'm assuming this hardware will easily support 10 cams??

3. If we add a 2nd gigabit NIC, would a USB version suffice (vs. PCI)? With our VPN, not sure whether it's necessary to isolate our cams with a 2nd NIC?

4. Going to place/hide the desktop, out-of-sight/reach, less than 10 ft from our home office. What are our options for accessing this desktop remotely from our home office? Assuming a strong signal, would a wireless HDMI (lag??) and a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse work?

5. Since we don't have plans to use DMSS after upgrading to BI, should we consider turning-off any particular protocols/ports on the individual cams via the GUI for security purposes?

As always, thanks!

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are on track.

People are running 50 cams on a 4th gen LOL, so yeah your 8th gen and higher will be fine.

You can use the USB version for the 2nd NIC, but use that for the INTERNET connection not the cameras. Let the cameras go to the main ethernet port.

Most of us use Remote Desktop to get into the computer you will have hidden. Then you can access it from any computer on your network. That eliminates the need for a wireless HDMI, bluetooth mouse/keyboard etc. that is connected to the BI computer.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would avoid a wireless HDMI solution. If you want HDMI, use a cord. You can get HDMI over fiber optic cords for fairly cheap ($50 or so) that are really thin compared to standard HDMI cords. Or you can get HDBase-T adapters which use standard cat5e or better network cable to carry the HDMI signal, on the offchance that this is more convenient for you. Some HDBase-T adapters also have USB ports for keyboard and mouse over the same network cable; just don't expect the USB to do anything more than a keyboard and mouse, they tend to use really shitty USB hardware in those in my limited experience.

If the machine has integrated wifi, you could use the wifi adapter for internet and LAN access and use the wired network port for cameras, with no need for an additional network adapter. But if you want to live view for many hours straight, then there's no beating a wired connection for the internet/LAN too.

henry8653j

n3wb
Reaction score
Got our VPN online. Been testing our 5 EmpireTech cams (w/micro SD's) with BI, UI3 and Pushover with our laptop (and 16ch POE switch) for the last few weeks. Not fond of switching from Pushover to UI3 to access notification videos on our iphone, but we can live with it. Thankfully, the Pushover photo attachment provides enough info most of the time so we don't the need to access UI3. Using email notifications with Pushover. Scripts (CURL?) are way over our head for the time being.

1. Are we somewhat on track with this software arrangement? Other options we should consider?

2. Have plans to add another 4 or 5 cams (total 9-10). Currently Looking at refurbed desktops on eBay. Focusing on units with i7/i9 (8th gen and higher), 16-32gb RAM, 1tb SSD on eBay for $400-$450. Plan to purchase a surveillance rated 4-6tb harddrive. With some judicious fine-tuning of BI/UI3, I'm assuming this hardware will easily support 10 cams??

3. If we add a 2nd gigabit NIC, would a USB version suffice (vs. PCI)? With our VPN, not sure whether it's necessary to isolate our cams with a 2nd NIC?

4. Going to place/hide the desktop, out-of-sight/reach, less than 10 ft from our home office. What are our options for accessing this desktop remotely from our home office? Assuming a strong signal, would a wireless HDMI (lag??) and a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse work?

5. Since we don't have plans to use DMSS nasdaq fintechzoom after upgrading to BI, should we consider turning-off any particular protocols/ports on the individual cams via the GUI for security purposes?

As always, thanks!
Thanks for sharing informative topic.