Has anyone else besides me installed a full fledged AHD MDVR in their personal vehicle?

seccamusr1

n3wb
Reaction score
A while back I picked up a 4 channel MDVR from Joinlgo. The one I purchased is equipped with GPS and WiFi. I haven't really messed with the Wifi connectivity much as I'm always leery of connecting anything from China to any kind of internet connected network.

Overall though I have to say its pretty good to have something that can keep track of multiple sides of the vehicle when you're driving, but you already know that since you're here I'd guess. Currently I have one analog HD camera and two normal analog cameras with another AHD camera on the way to go in the rear. Eventually Ill get around to replacing the other two with HD cameras as well, but I chose to have one of the non-HD cameras with a mic peeking out the drivers side window through a vent to capture any interaction with police or anyone else at my window. The other one is directly in front of my rear-view mirror as I wanted footage if the HD camera in the grill gets crushed in a collision or something. The built in GPS allows an overlay of your calculated speed independent of the vehicle's spedo, so that could be nice for fighting a false speeding ticket... now that would have come in handy for me a couple of times before I installed the system. :lmao:

I'm not sure what the 'high end' dash cams look like in 2023, but couple years ago when I got the system most stuff out there was either really just garbage and wouldn't provide a clear enough picture to catch a plate number or anything at all, even if you spent the big bucks. Also with a super visible dash camera I've seen examples of law enforcement asking people to turn it off and getting pretty adamant about it, even in countries where citizens aren't legally required to stop filming anything in public. I'd rather take footage to court of a falsified speeding ticket and have the popo's badge myself after proving him a liar in court... just more satisfying that way.

The MDVR itself has a capacitor bank that can run it completely disconnected from the battery for quite some time. Also quite a few options for wiring it in to the alarm system, door switches, and other such things. It can also sense any movement of the vehicle when the ignition is off, so if someone comes up and stands on the trailer hitch or something the system will come online and record for whatever period of time you set, and of course it could trigger the alarm too if you want.

Ultimately I want to put it on a private VPN over a dedicated cellular modem and be able to remotely view any activity and potentially wire it in so I can remotely kill the power to the fuel pump or distributor coil if someone should so happen to want to steal my favorite 90s sh17box. :lol:
With a cellular connection I could also do hardware accelerated text/plate number recognition or logging remotely when driving around once I get the time to get all that set up. There's no way in hell Ill be using the 'free' server they provide in china though, or even screwing on the wireless antenna until the secure vpn is set and ready.;)

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't jumped down this rabbit hole yet, but I'd be curious to see what type of cameras people are using for this. They can obviously get pretty small and therefore more easily mounted in various places. Tesla has certainly made these types of systems more common/popular and there are plenty of examples where the footage from systems like this as been beneficial to the owners.