Has anyone had sucess covering the red ir light?

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I own 6 of these CMVision IR110 - 114 LED Indoor/Outdoor Long Range 200-300ft IR Illuminator With Free 3A 12VDC Adaptor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZX1M88/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are great ir lights but man it makes my house look like a prison at night!:sad2:
I was thinking maybe dark window tint would do the trick, but not sure. Some of you guys on here seem to be pretty darn smart with this stuff! Some suggestions please.

bike_rider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What you need is a sheet of IR pass filter material. BH Photo sells them in sheets up to 4" x 4". They are sold by Wratten number, which determines what frequencies get passed and blocked. It should block the visible portion of your lights. I haven't done this, but it should work.

87opaquePasses infrared but not visible frequencies. blocks wavelengths below 740 nm
87AopaquePasses infrared but not visible frequencies. blocks wavelengths below 880 nm
87BopaquePasses infrared, blocks visible frequencies. blocks wavelengths below 820 nm
87CopaquePasses infrared, blocks visible frequencies. blocks wavelengths below 790 nm
88opaquePasses infrared, blocks visible wavelengths below 700 nm.
88AopaquePasses infrared, blocks visible frequencies. below 720 nm.
How much power do those lights draw?

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks bike_rider!
I will try this!
As far as power draw i'm not sure, I only know that there
3A 12V and it is a lot cheaper to run these all night vs a bunch of outdoor lights I have. Plus, they light up every inch of my property and some! Without a doubt I would and will buy these again.
Again Thanks!

PhiDeck

n3wb
Reaction score
The photo-sensor appears to be in the center of the emitters array. If it is sensing daylight, as one might suspect, you may need to cut a hole in the center of any IR-pass filter you place in front of the array, or the latter may be on 24 hrs/day.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not think you would have much success trying to block the red glow. I think in most cases that red glow IS the infrared. Human eyes are just sensitive enough to it to see it at the source.

tamjin09

n3wb
Reaction score
Were you able to try the IR pass filters? If so, did they work?

t4rest

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is an option that I’m working on right now. I sprayed Rust-oleum "Lens Tint" purchased from an auto part store on the IR illuminator lens. It darkened the lens so that the red glow was less evident. The glow was still there but about equal to my 2CD2142FWF-IS.

Yes, the effectiveness of the IR illuminator was decreased but was still enormously better than the camera’s IR alone. I purchased one of those cheap ones on eBay. (48 LED IR Illuminator) $6.00.

I will have to check during the day to verify that the illuminator is not on during the day. If it is I’ll just scrape off a little in front of the light sensor to let in enough light during the day.