Having trouble finding an outdoor rated ethernet cable

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to find an outdoor rated ethernet cable (one thats water resistant and uv resistant) since I'll be running the cables down the corner and under the siding of the house. I've looked at monoprice and they offer these two:
Monoprice Cat6 Ethernet Bulk Cable - Outdoor Gel-filled Direct Burial, UTP, Stranded, 550MHz, Pure Bare Copper, 23AWG, No Logo, 1000ft, Black - Monoprice.com and Monoprice Cat6 Ethernet Bulk Cable - Outdoor Watertape Direct Burial, S/FTP, Solid, 550MHz, Pure Bare Copper, 23AWG, No Logo, 1000ft, Black (TAA) - Monoprice.com. The Q&A is kinda confusing where I'm not sure as to whether they're uv resistant or not (comments say it is and some say it isn't). Also one of the reviews say:

I mean it's cable. The problem is that I have not been able to find any terminals that will work with this wire. The conductors or insulation are just too large a diameter to be worked into a typical CAT5 or CAT6 connector. I have to use punchdown bridges, which is an extra expense, and a pain to deal with. That alone drops the wire from 5 stars to 2.

I'm not sure what that means since I've never crimped a cable before but would that mean I need to get different connectors? Are there other trusted brands out there besides monoprice. Any suggestions?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have never had issues with rj45’s not fitting over the shielding. It’s not a easy job, specially when it’s all greasy hands from the gel and -20 degrees outside.
Some brands of cable I use are from

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Does this kind of cabling work outside in -40c with no conduit covering it?
I appears, according their website to say nothing about UV resistance. But mentions Direct Burial. Depending on your situation, you may want Outdoor rated cabling. It would be UV resistant.

gecko

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I just have a spot that I would like to install a camera but having more conduit just makes it not look as nice. Will have to relook at the location. What would you recommend for exterior use with no conduit for super cold?

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score

Not sure where in Canada your from, But most electrical supply businesses will carry the wire you need. The cable shielding will have UV resistant printed on it.

gecko

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm out west. Does anyone sell less than 1000ft of this kinda stuff. That's way overkill for my use case.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I have lots of odds and ends laying around, but im in southwestern Ontario. How much you need?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding all types of outdoor-rated Ethernet cable, but particularly shielded, I have found it makes insertion of the prepared cable into the RJ-45 male connector a lot easier by taking the flat, un-checkered part of my flat-nosed or needle-nosed pliers and slightly flattening the end of the outer cable jacket about 1/2" where the jacket ends and the 4 pair colors are exposed; this makes it so much easier to insert the cable into the connector and under the piece that is designed the grip the overall cable jacket, taking some mechanical stress off of the gold-plated, insulation displacement crimps that bite into the individual conductors.

Whew! That's a lot of wording to explain what I mean but I think I got it across. As they say, a picture is worth....you know:

jacket_crimp.jpg

Reaction score
Oh, I see. So if i buy those connectors, it'll fit the bigger sized connector jacket that the reviews are saying? Also, should i just buy these monoprice ones or some different ones, These monoprice ones are both direct burial but I won't be burying them underground so I might not need the gel. All i need is uv and water resistant.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, I see. So if i buy those connectors, it'll fit the bigger sized connector jacket that the reviews are saying? Also, should i just buy these monoprice ones or some different ones, These monoprice ones are both direct burial but I won't be burying them underground so I might not need the gel. All i need is uv and water resistant.
The Gel is to keep the water out, above or under ground

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, see TonyR’s last post above.
To further confuse you. Cat5e 24AWG DIRECT BURIAL /UV is morrrre than enough bandwith for a camera. And you can buy standard Rj-45 ends. :)