Having trouble getting audio to record with video

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To be honest, I haven't tried in awhile, but I remember trying a lot of different things several months ago, before finally giving up and moving onto other things. Today, I saved a clip of my 18-month-old grandson being naughty, and funny, as he was doing some things he wasn't supposed to. I was able to save the clip, but it would've been a much better video if I could hear me telling him no repeatedly and him fussing and pointing back at me for telling him no. So, now I'd like to figure out why I'm not able to record video from either of my cameras. I hope to add 5-6 outdoor cameras next spring, but right now I just have a Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW in our great room and a Foscam R4S in the garage. I've not had any luck getting audio from either, though they both are capable of recording audio, at least as far as I know.

Is this something where I probably need to start with the camera itself, to make certain it is recording audio with the stream, or is this more than likely something I need to setup in BI?

Thanks to anyone that can help steer me in the right direction.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Under the camera set-up in BI you need to tell it that the camera has audio.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I'd hate to think it was that simple. I'm pretty sure that I've tried that, but maybe I only imagined it. I'll check it out and we'll see how it goes.

Thank you!

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey, thank you. I thought I'd had that set for both cameras, but I hadn't. I enabled it on the Foscam, and I now have audio recording from the garage camera. Unfortunately, it was already enabled on the Hikvision camera in the great room, and I get nothing whatsoever from it.

EDIT: I may have figured it out. I hadn't logged into the camera with a browser since buying the thing and the initial setup. I went back and looked through setup and there is an option for Video Type. Mine was set to Video. When I looked at the other options, there was another option for Video&Audio. I changed to that and saved my settings. Hopefully, that will take care of it. I'm at work and really can't check anything. I'll peek in when my wife gets home later and see if I hear anything.

Last edited:

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, still one small quirk. I can't seem to get audio to work from within the Blue Iris app itself. If I export a video clip or watch a video clip or watch live from the iOS app, I get sound, but if I'm watching live or watching a clip from within the Blue Iris Windows app, I get nothing. I have the little speaker icon in the upper right of the screen on, and the volume turned up, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The audio is there though, and recording just fine. I just can't seem to hear anything from with Blue Iris on my PC. I'm sure it's something silly, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is.

Any ideas?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you remote desktop into the Blue Iris PC? If so and you run BI as a service, live audio is not possible with remote desktop - known issue that BI says cannot be fixed.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, BI isn't running as a service, at least I don't think I set it up that way, but I am remoting in using TeamViewer. My security server is running on a PC in my network closet and it has no physical keyboard, mouse, monitor or speakers. Any other Windows or system sounds from that computer come through to the one I'm remoting in from, no problem, but not BI.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi neighbor!
Please clarify, Exactly what are you able to hear audio, or not hear audio?
You mention IOS, then you mention Windows.
When you mention Windows, are you referring to UI3>
Be sure Audio is enabled in Webcasting in BI.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for rambling. When I'm remoting into my BI server, which is running on an old HP running Windows 10, I cannot hear audio when reviewing clips or watching live video. This server is in my network closet with no keyboard, mouse, monitor or speakers, so remoting in using TeamViewer is my best option. Through TeamViewer, I can hear everything else, sound-wise, from the BI server; just nothing from within BI itself.

The iOS comment was in reference to the remote app. So, if I'm at work and I peek in on things at home, I can hear video just fine from any clips I review, and the live view.

It's only the BI server itself that I can't hear anything from, unless I export a clip or something.

Hopefully, that makes a little more sense.

And hello back to you neighbor! I'm fairly certain you've responded to a post or two of mine in the past, but I've never noticed that you were also from Eville.