HDMI Splitters for NVR

Chasen1027

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the IP camera world. I'm a systems analyst during the week days as far as my main occupation goes, but on the side I do networking and network installations. Recently I picked up a really nice side gig.
One of the projects that's part of the gig requires a 20 IP camera installation on the business property. The owner of the business wants 2 monitors connected to the NVR for viewing the camera footage.
After some quick research on this topic, I ran into a possible solution, an HDMI splitter. However, the owner wants these monitors setup in 2 different offices that are on complete opposite sides of the building and
due to the structure of the building, there is only one way to get cables through the wall into the room where the offices are from the NVR and Switch. I have NO OTHER WAYS OF GETTING THE CABLE INTO THE OFFICES!
So the main problem lies where the HDMI cable comes through the wall and that being, there is no electrical outlet near the cable entrance where I need to put the HDMI splitter.
And after researching, I see these splitters require a power source via ac/dc converter plugged into an outlet. So my question is, is there a splitter that requires no power or a splitter that can be powered via power over HDMI. If not, I need some input
as to what other options I have for this setup. Thanks!

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Chasen1027

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much! This looks like a viable option. I will report back in the future if I run into any snags. Thanks again!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Another option would be to have multiple NVRs or computers running VMS software like Blue Iris. If you go this route, consider your network layout carefully and decisions like if you want a separate PoE switch or an NVR with built in PoE switch. This does afford more flexibility if say viewing certain cameras in more important in one location or the other or you want a few cameras hidden from the screen in one location.