HDW4300SN

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Six of my three year old cameras are these and mostly when you search around for them it's like, what? LOL! Even dahua doesn't remember they made them, lol. Well, I hope they do ok. I bought them in 2014. They're soon to see the light of day outside their box.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had a couple of em; they looked good back in their day, but now they suck.. heh see this post to see how they compared to the new Starlights.

I gave most of em away, kept one just for future comparisons if I want.. should probably just give it away too.. now that I upgraded to all Starlights w/IVS and H265 life is good, worth the upgrade IMHO.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah the starlights look killer. But all new cams, good grief. I have 3.600 to spend on a new drone. Time to rob a bank. Hope they don't have starlights heh.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well security cameras are not a fine wine, more like a beer.. if you stash a bunch and forget about em for a few years they tend to be garbage by the time you go to use em :p

You can go toss all those old polaroids; they stoped making film for em long ago and the old stock is worth more than gold.. so the lesson is yeh shoulda kept boxes of film not cameras.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Holy fuck- that's a 4300SN in that comparison? Crap, now I don't even want to hang them up. Ouy. Thanks for that delightful kick in the balls.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
That's THE camera I have HDW4300SN, seriously? I don't remember it looking that shitty. Guess there wasn't a startlight to compare it to.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it was the HFW4300S 3MP bullet, same image quality as all the other 4300 series..

these starlights were game changers; they made everything look like shit in comparison.. even the new 4MP Dahua cameras I installed a few months prior.. I basically trashed two of em after 2-3 months of service.

My 12X Black Face PTZ is the only non-starlight camera I have on duty anymore, and I loved the quality out of it until the day I installed my first starlight.. now I hate it lol

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it should, you wont be able to use H265 with that NVR but I believe you can find firmware that will enable IVS recording for you.. I forget whom but someone here found firmware for his OG 4216 that allowed him to record off IVS events.

if you cant use IVS hopefully you can enable SmartCodec which disables IVS and uses the spare CPU to do more compression on the video stream, saves a ton of diskspace.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, no 265- I stuffed 8tb total in it at the time. Not too bent about 265. I'm old school motion detection- surely the starlights can deliver that?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah but Object tracking is so much better than basic MD; espically on the starlights (less noise makes it more reliable).. last time I got a false alert for something moving about on the side of my house near the trailer it ended up being the shadow of an airplane flying right across my tripwire.. was actually pretty cool heh.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you only record motion? I planned on recording full time every channel with MD just to help me locate a bit. Does tripwire help with webs? That's literally my biggest intruder. I'm really glad I made this thread. I looked at your comparison already but had no idea it was comparing to my camera. It's almost hard to believe the 4300 sucks that bad compared. I really remember a much cleaner image than that. Now I gotta rethink- but better now than later.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I record continuously 24/7, but having events flagged in the timeline I rely on for scrubbing activity.. if a neighbor says there car was broken into last night I dont have the time to watch it at 8x to look for people.. but I can just pull open all events and watch em in a few mins.. MD worked okay at night as not alot of stuff moved, but in the daytime my MD flags would be in the hundreds.

You can also use IVS for notifications pretty reliably, it dont false enough that you train your self to ignore em.. I dont keep notifications up much but I use push notifications when I'm away from the house to keep an eye on pets and property..

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I use push too. I gotta be realistic and install what I have and pretend I never laid eyes on a starlight. In all the forums in all the world, you had to post that.... I'll replace them all over time I suppose, and maybe even better ones will come out. I could get three of them for starters on the chokes but three greats only makes the other five look like shit. Better to have an even playing field of shit or great, lol. But a big improvement since I'm up'ing from analog, anyway. Plus I want to keep a budget for the 25x ptz starlight if that can be done.