HDW5231R-ZE problem(s).

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's my story... I purchased a HDW5231R-ZE from Andy some time back in 2018/2019 and its been sitting in a closet since. I tried to setup the cam a couple weeks back and it showed up with a gray image on the screen. I also noticed the IR lights were lit and wouldn't go out. Everything else worked as it should - Zoom in/out, and audio. Trying to figure out what wasn't working, I disassembled the entire camera taking the lens and circuit boards apart. I noticed some sort of a triangular shaped shutter that was blocking the image after comparing it to another 5231 cam I had up. Once I figured out what was blocking the image I was able to manually move it and I went from a gray screen to a perfect image.

Does anyone know what this shutter or what this part on the lens is called? Its connected to the 4 wires you see (Yellow, Orange, Red, Brown). With the plug disconnected, I still have focus and zoom functions. Is it worth trying to fix?

5231b.jpg

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably the IR cut filter. Might try getting it to activate, powered on/off, tap it a little to see if you can get it unstuck.

Oops... read to fast. I see now that you got it to work after moving it. Does it get stuck again?

Last edited:

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably the IR cut filter. Might try getting it to activate, powered on/off, tap it a little to see if you can get it unstuck.

Oops... read to fast. I see now that you got it to work after moving it. Does it get stuck again?
It doesn't function at all and doesn't appear stuck. With a small paperclip in the slot just above where the wires enter I can slide it open it, and the other side directly under the 1 on the sticker to close it. It can move in both directions (maybe that's what's wrong?) I initially tested with it unplugged and then plugged it in and did a reset (held the tiny button down). From all the adjustments I made, It doesn't function with any of them... day/night, focus, zoom, brightness, etc. If i can't figure it out, ill just set it up as an indoor cam. Still odd about the IR lights being lit though.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, the IR also being on kind of makes the think that maybe the filter is working as it should - the cam is wanting to move it into place as it should when dark. Maybe the light sensor is the source of the problem. Can't recall exactly how that one works when you power it up but with most you should hear a click when it first comes on and if it's moved to dark/light as the filter moves. If not, then it's not even trying to move it. Could be something else in that circuit/mechanism but again with the IR on full time makes me think more toward the sensor.