Hello and help, please.

Reaction score
I understand you need to get this done ASAP. But from my side, you really can't give an 'expert' roadmap based on that sketch. And most here would shy away from doing so since they do not want to be bitten.

1654708247316.png

The sketch above is just that, a sketch. There is no accompanying of specific purpose. You show three arrows, which I suppose are three cams and their orientation/FOV that you are proposing? Specifically, what are you trying to achieve with these three cams? Do you want an overview that gives you a recording of the entire area? Or are you interested in the ID of people at the gate/driveway entrance? Or are you expecting to be able to ID people all along the arrow path? Those are three different jobs and there will not be one cam that can do all three at the same time. So it is important for you to define your objectives here.

I am assuming that the 100 foot shot to the street is for LPR? If so, then you will only get plates on cars going in one direction if they only have a rear plate. How high is the fence that the LPR cam has to shoot over? How wide is the road? All of this plays into the design of an LPR cam layout. Pictures would help immensely.

No mention of budget was made. Unless you state how much you expect to spend, how can anyone give you a recommendation?

Murdoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank-you all for your time. I apologize if I have come across as abrasive or ungrateful, it was not my intent.

The sketch was just a quick attempt to give a rough idea of the area.

I would like to have a view of the gate/driveway for observation, ultimately it would be a plus to be at the recognition or identification level if possible. I would like to view as much of the area between the houses and the fence line as possible at the recognition level, with the ability to identify if possible.

The 100' shot was a thought for reference for a lpr. I have some obstructions and am trying to research what could realistically work considering the angle from the road. The fence is 6' tall wire fencing with 2" x 4" rectangles. If the fence is too much of an obstruction I could use the second story portion of the house, but it would increase my angles. The road is two undevided lanes, 14' wide.

I appreciate everyone's input and again apologize for causing frustration, I understand it. I am doing my best to rtfm and learn as much as I can. I will try the IVPM designer link, thank you.20220607_152117.jpg20220607_151616.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That fence will be problematic for LPR, especially at night. You will get IR bounce off of it. You would need to look to put the camera on the fence or tree or someplace where the field of view would not have the fence in it.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
There are NVR/cam combinations that people use that get the plate info from the cam and place it in a database in the NVR. As I have not used them, I really do not know anything more about it but do remember posts here comparing Hikvision and Dahua versions.

Also I think that @Wildcat_1 has done some testing of these. Maybe he or @bigredfish can chime in?

Posting the question in the LPR forum, and looking through that forum for threads that touch upon that would be a good start.
Yes absolutely can help here. Reach out via DM @Murdoc if you haven't and lets have a chat on how you can configure the cam + NVR. The key though as we all state all the time is in starting with the install location, distance to target, height, overall FOV is critical and even more so from ANPR/ALPR than manual LPR

Murdoc

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you wittaj, ill keep looking at options here, might be a pipe dream. To ballpark the budget, $1000 to $1500. I don't know, what I don't know, but I'm trying.